Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transitone model 8 ?

Hi 

I have this old radio with a PACKARD tag but it says on the original torn paperwork it is a Transitone model 8 F ?

From what I have found out on the net this set ran from a Dynamotor, model EA. I found a circuit on Nostalgic Air. 

I would like to find out what the Dynamotor looks like , and the dimensions of the Dyanamotor  box , if possible. 

I think I need the remote head as well.  

Some of these sets may have been imported here with expensive cars , or sold by radio dealers.

Thanks from Mike

Attached Files Image(s)

I found this advert in a 1933 newspaper , it mentions Transitone car radio

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Transitone10,

You may already have this, but here’s a link to the “PA Packard” model schematic and installation instructions.

There is a drawing showing the dashboard installation and firewall mounting points. Not exactly what you asked for, but it might help get an idea of spatial dimensions of the Dynamotor unit.

The only other thing I discovered is that the “EA” unit is powered by 6 volts (as typical of most 1933 cars).

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Well shucks. Forgot to add the link.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...014113.pdf

Sorry bout that.

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Here’s a link to a 1933 Packard Service Sheet that mentions the “new Packard radio” and shows a (grainy) photo of the control head. It’s on page 4 of this PDF. 

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downl...OL7NO2.pdf

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Thank you Michael

That information is very useful. I had not seen those documents. Looks like they had at least two different control heads , one type is on the steering column, the other is in the dash panel.

I have the radio, now I need to buy a 33 Packard   Icon_lol I would need to win the lotto

Yes, it looks like two different control head installations that might be Packard car model specific.

You don’t own the ‘33 Packard? Darn. That’s ok, neither do I.

There’s another document I found that specifies a box dimension for the EA dynamotor. I’ll see if I can find it again. It was only a measurement for cutting out a floor panel in the car to drop the dynamotor in place.

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Found it. Here’s a link to a Schematic PDF of the EA Dynamotor.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013995.pdf

On page three of this PDF the Dynamotor is described along with the following recommendation:

“The Dynamotor housing or box can be conveniently located in the floor of the car. Simply cut a hole 6 1/8” by 8 7/16” in the floor and drop the box in place from the top.”

Still no picture of the housing or box yet, but this gives you a little more to go on.

Also, it seems Philco supplied one type of control unit that could be steering column mounted or dashboard mounted. Page two of the “PA Packard” PDF schematic I sent earlier explains in detail under the heading “Control Unit”

Here’s that particular pdf link again: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...014113.pdf

Hope that helps!

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Thank you for finding that.

That document does give a few hints about the fitting of the Dynamotor and the size of the Dynamotor housing.  

Getting back the PA Packard receiver, the document you found for that installation mentions that the Dynamotor is placed in the LH glove compartment of the car. 

Maybe the other document    http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013995.pdf    is meant for the universal version of the Transitone 8 ? What is interesting is, it mentions using the EA Dynamotor with the earlier Model 3 Transitone set

Yes it looks like the Packard car used either of two control units , one fits in the dash and another type on the steering column.

Attached Files Image(s)

From what I read it’s the same case control unit with different face plates available from Packard to match different dashboard styles.

On car models without provision for a radio, the Philco faceplate (supplied) is used and the whole is attached to the steering column.

So I think there is only one control unit after all.

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

This type of military (?) dynamotor would be suitable. 

I wonder did Philco manufacture their own Dynamotors or use a outside brand ?

Attached Files Image(s)

Neat stuff for 1933. PP41s, this thing should put out 5W if they are fed from 250V. Dynamotors are cool.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

The limited experience I have had with Dynamotors tells me they are noisy things, they whine like a sick cat. The military liked Dynamotors because they are generally reliable.

Hello Guyus,
how cool is that radio !
Here is a beautiful example of that car .

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Now that is a luxury car !  Is that at Pebble Beach in California ?