Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco console R/P model 46-1209 just bought

I've been looking for a good pre-1955 console that could play my huge collection of 78s without having to change the needle every play and that has a changer. The Philco 47-1230 looked like a good choice, as I've heard good things about Philcos being reliable and well-engineered. The 1230 also has short-wave and FM. Can a 1947 radio get today's FM channels? Yesterday, on Craigslist I noticed a Philco that looked just like a 1230. The ad didn't mention the model number, and just said they thought it was from about 1932! So I drove over to check it out. When I looked at it, I saw that it was a 46-1209, which has the identical cabinet of a 47-1230. The 1209 has everything that the 1230 has except FM. Unfortunately, I was disappointed when I opened the front and discovered a modern (c. 1960) multi-speed record player, instead of the original phono. Because of this, I was able to get it at a very low price, so I couldn't refuse. Now I have decision to make. Should I try to look for the right phono and buy it as a part, or just keeping looking for a 47-1230? From what I've seen, these consoles are pretty common, but most would need to be shipped. I noticed that 1940's consoles are much lighter than 20's and 30's consoles and might be able to shipped cheaply via Greyhound. But many sellers state clearly on their ads that will not ship. Thanks to anyone who has any comments or advice. Marc.

A replacement phonograph would be certainly be the cheaper way to go if you're having something shipped. You may want to check the local thrift stores, consoles pop up pretty frequently and are usually fairly inexpensive. I picked up a working, all original 1948 RCA console with AM, FM, shortwave & 78 changer in excellent condition at the Salvation Army store for $50. You may be able to find a different model console that has the same phono that you need (or one that's close enough), for less than what you may spend for ordering just a replacement phono.

Yes, the 47-1230 does recieve the existing FM band, 88-108MHZ, but mono only of course. You can view the different models at Philcoradio.com in the gallery.

Motorola man, That sounds like you made a real find. The 48 that you found must have been restored at some point, yes? What model 48 did you find? I want to ask another question, but I will start a new post for it. Thanks, Marc.

I have a 46-1203 which uses the same phono as the 46-1209 (78 only w/angled spindle). Thats something to keep in mind... if you find a 1203 for parts then your looking good! Besides, the 1203 is much smaller and liter when it comes to shipping! This phono uses a crystal cartridge which is never functional (that I've ever seen). There are some discussions threads about replacing this with different Astatic cartridges (with mixed results), and I saw one article on rebuilding the existing crystal cartridge (very time consuming). I figure I'll try rebuilding the one I have... I cant make it any worse! If that dosent work, then Ill start playing with replacement options. Just some thoughts I thought Id throw out there...

It's never been restored, it's never even been repaired from what I can see. 100% factory original. I've cleaned it up a bit, but haven't gotten around to recapping it... maybe one of these days.

Hi Marcapra, and welcome! I see on the other forum that you also have found a 42-1008 with the Beam of Light changer - congratulations!

Whether or not you want a correct changer or not depends on how original you want the set to be, what kind of records you will be playing, etc. Sometimes these changers show up on eBay. Sometimes they can be found at radio swap meets. The original changer which was in your radio used a dynamic cartridge; sounds great when working properly, but as someone else has pointed out, finding the correct stylus for those is not easy. Plus the cartridge is easily damaged by forcing a steel needle into them; many were damaged this way. Philco ultimately offered a kit to convert the dynamic cartridges to a crystal cartridge(!).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN