Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 53-960 Tropic Master - Wierd AC Plug?

Restoring this beast. I see a very oddball connector marked "Phono Power" any idea what plug goes in here? It does measure house current but no American AC plug fits it? Any ideas?

Attached Files Image(s)

In the olden days, some record players that would be a part of a radio+turntable system, had a small plug that would be plugged into chassis.
This is one of them.

I have the same radio. The back cover does not allow anything to plug in, but maybe it was used in some other system, that had turntable, or it was an intention to allow it with a different backing.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I am trying to see if a speaker plug would work. I have a 2-pin and a 3-pin that will need one pin removed. I see that my audio connection was changed at some time prior to my ownership to a RCA jack. Philco would never do this! Icon_smile

Not sure I understand. You wamt to plug a speaker in it, or you want to use speaker plug for other purpise?

Try to state the whole project, not teaspoon at a time.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There was a cable connected to the phonograph with a plug on the end with those two pins. It was to supply power to the phonograph, hence the ink stamp on the chassis "Phono Power". So it sounds like you're looking for a plug that will fit into that socket. In that case please post in the wanted ads section.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Greg was spot on. an AC plug for my RCA turntable. I think a 2-pin speaker plug will work, if not, will post in wanted items forum.

Is this a radio-phono combo unit? Just curious as to whether they may have re-used the chassis in a radio without the phonograph.  A lot of the ones I have seen just had a standard two blade (Hubbell) AC outlet, either a rectangular one or a round one. 
Regards
Arran

Never mind, I answered my own question, I looked in the gallery. What threw me was the model number 53-960.

+1 on above comments. It was very common for radio manufacturers to put a non-standard jack on the rear apron of the chassis for power to the phono turntable. Sometimes it was 3 pin so the record changer's switch would power on / power off the receiver chassis. In this case, the power switch was not usually on the volume control off and was labeled Off/Phono or On.

However, chances are that this chassis was available as part of a tabletop radio / phono combo where the turntable was not a changer. Per the schematic for your radio, both legs of the the "phono power socket" were switched; one by the Radio power switch, and the other by a "Radio - Phono" switch. Verify that on your set, the switch exists and can be switched to Phono. It may be hidden or its travel blocked, as this is an AM / SW Radio. This is a transformer powered radio and should be a real good performer for a table radio.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Updated-

Hi Snowlion,

+1 on above comments. It was very common for radio manufacturers to put a non-standard jack on the rear apron of the chassis for power to the phono turntable. Sometimes it was 3 pin so the record changer's switch would power on / power off the receiver chassis. In this case, the power switch was not usually on the volume control off and was labeled Off/Phono or On.

However, chances are that this chassis was available as part of a tabletop radio / phono combo where the turntable was not a changer. Both legs of the "phono power socket" were switched; one by the Radio power switch, and the other by a "Radio - Phono" switch. not kosher by current NEC standards, but this was within the appliance.
Verify that on your set, the switch exists and can be switched to Phono. It may be hidden or its travel blocked, as this is an AM / SW Radio.

An easy fix to this would be to clip the socket from a set of Christmas Lights or find an old non-polarized extension cord and clip the outlet from it. Pass the wires through the holes and tack- solder them to the tabs of the pins of the apron socket that the supply wires are soldered to.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

I may have a male plug to fit that socket if you would like it. Can you measure the distance between the centres of the two holes and post that? Cheers