Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Cabinet w/phonograph

Hello,
I have recently acquired a Philco Cabinet w/phonograph and cannot locate model or any information on it.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Bonnie

ANY idea of its value/worth?

Looks like a 48-1262.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Its a Philco 1948 model 48-1262

Depending on the version its service info is here: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...8-1949.pdf

and here is the additional info if its the later code 122 version: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...8-1949.pdf

Ms. Smith would like to know the value of this unit.

Your thoughts please.

My thought is $50 - $100.  It's an AM only 6-tube radio.  Over 48,000 were made according to the Philco Gallery; so, it's not rare.  The cabinet looks to be in very good condition although I can't clearly see the Philco logo that should be above the dial scale.  If it has been electronically restored, I would say $100.  If it hasn't, I would say $50.  There's a decent looking one presently for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $600; but, there is a best offer option.  Ha!  The seller will never get anything close to $600 for it.  And, understandably, there are no bids on it.

In it's favor, the cabinet and grillcloth are in very good condition and wouldn't require much to "spruce it up". That being said, the cabinet style is lacking compared to previous years' cabinets. The radio is only Broadcast Band, and the record changer is only a 78rpm player. I am not saying they aren't good units, just not prime examples of what Philco had to offer. It was a 'blue collar' console. If someone offered me $100 for it - IT'S THEIRS! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I agree with LarryFS and Gary. It's an AM-only, low tube count, radio. Basically a table radio with an added phonograph in a console cabinet. $50-100, tops.

I'm not trying to put down your radio, but honestly, it is not considered very collectible in the radio community and therefore is not really worth a lot to other collectors. Obviously it has great sentimental value to you, and it is good that you wish to preserve it. That's what this hobby is all about. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It is a technically interesting radio. By using a voltage doubler rectifier and a PM Dynamic speaker, Philco approximated the B+ level of a transformer powered radio and got transformer powered performance on the cheap. They made several post-war radios this way. Was a recession at the time? Another example of how they could build it cheaper but still well. 2 Stage IF also. Really nice cabinet, love the color and the grille!

We all started somewhere of course, so if you are good with your hands, practice soldering (There has to be a You Tube video out there) and consider changing the "caps" (capacitors) yourself. There are you tube videos on restoring an "AA5" radios (All-American 5 tube radio, the most common circuit shared between just about every US manufacturer of table radios from the late 1930s till the end of tube radio production). Yours is only a little more complex, but we are all here to help with advice. Parts are relatively cheap; you are paying for labor when someone rebuilds a radio.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55