Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco radio with phono input

Does anyone know if Philco made a radio with a phono input?  In the 50’s I had a record changer with crystal cartridge and what I seem to remember is a Philco radio
with a phono jack. Radio long gone, but I still have the changer. They were a present from an older brother, along with a stack of children’s records. 
Thanks
Thom.

Hi Thom,

Hmmm...the only Philcos I can think of offhand with a phono input are Philco Tropic radios, along with one domestic model which is basically part of the Tropic family - model 53-960. That is a rather large radio, however. I'm guessing the set you had was smaller?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The radio I remember was a smaller one in a vertical cream plastic case. Phono jack was on the right side looking at the front. This was over 60 years ago, so might not have been a Philco.
Thom.

They were adding phono inputs optionally without them being on the original schematic. Don't ask me how I know.

I can't remember if it was a Philco or an Emerson, but I fixed one that had an RCA style phono jack on the right side. On this model, when you plugged the phono into this jack, the radio would be disconnected, much like a headphone jack does.

I have 2 Zenith AM FM H7XX models, an RCA 1R81 and 2 GEs, all with RA Phone Jacks. Most have radio / phono switches. the 2GEs are mid 50s clock radios. Turning the volume pot CW makes the radio louder and the phono lower, turning it CCW makes the radio lower, and the phono input louder.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

I've seen some Canadian Philco models with an RCA phono jack, but those were at the rear, not in the side of the cabinet. It really depends on what model in what year, the ones that were clones of U.S Philcos did not have them, except for the Philco Tropic clones, my Bing Crosby does not. 
Regards
Arran