Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-60 Started repair again

Hello Bryan,
your job replacing those last capacitors turned out looking good .

Sincerely Richard

Thanks a bunch!

Think when I'm finished, I'll put a little dab of clear silicone on each side of the new electrolytics to keep them from slipping down into the hole, and shorting the leads. Was out all day cutting grass out of town.

Installed more caps and resistors. Pretty well done, now working on that phono input and speaker OPT.

The phono input isn't wired in the schematic as I indicated previously. Will post revision later. 

Drilled out the rivets on the speaker without drilling the cone.  Figured out better to use a very large drill bit, and eat the rim off to the level of the OPT mount surface, instead of drilling thru the rivet.

Will wire it up another day. Holes line up perfectly.

Attached Files Image(s)

Had to drill out the speaker & transformer holes a little to fit the 7/16 bolts I had.  Without touching the cone or flexing the wires.

Had to go to a craft video to figure out how to braid 3 speaker wires.

Going grocery shopping with the wife. Money's in!

Bryan

Attached Files Image(s)

Crappy day today. Chipped the back piece of the dial, fortunately only at the edge. Still psd me off.  Was trying to pull a tube out to replace. Glued the piece back on.  It won't show up when the radio goes back in cabinet.

Plus after taking care to remember put the speaker transformer cover on before attaching cables, only to find out the new transformer doesn't have the attachment screw holes. Right in front of me if I would have used my head. 

Hate to clip off an original piece but it looks silly.

I did have the sense to read up on tuning capacitors. I used a dry toothbrush to clean the dust off, instead spraying it with contact cleaner. 

Bryan

Attached Files Image(s)

Got the 37-60 parts radio yesterday. One that they lost the first time before shipping. Output transformer is good. Voice coil & field coils are good. Speaker cone had cracks and was sloppy repaired. Rear dial surface with the slit is good. I can replace the one I cracked. Haven't checked the power transformer yet or antenna coils. Generally happy. Gong to leave the speaker alone for now, since I have the new Champ output transformer mounted.

It's working. Short wave is doing better than AM. Picking up WRMI in Okeechobee, Florida from  upper SC. Still needs work.. Has static and wish AM was clearer. New (used) tubes.

Hello jordan,
Yes, I have had days like that too and it seems your set is coming alone nicely !

Sincerely Richard

Great!

BTW, that huge 0.1uF 2kV cap in a photo in the post #79, what is it for?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Morzh - that's # 16, cap for osc/det tube . Bryan

Dumb question - my radio has 2 bands, regular AM and police (I assume shortwave?). How would it use 1 antenna? You would think it would have an antenna for each. AM reception is terrible. Is that due to being out in the country or not enough stations?

Quote:my radio has 2 bands, regular AM and police (I assume shortwave?)
RM says: The Philco model 37-60 series uses a 5-tube 2-band (BC and 2.3 - 7.4 MHz) chassis...

The "Shortwave Band (as labeled)" no longer supports "Police" activities. They have moved to VHF/UHF digital.  What you will find is CHU Canada time at 3.33, Ham radio CW (requires a carrier) AM phone and Single Side Band (requires an inserted carrier to understand) at or about 3.5 to 4.0, 40 meter ham radio 7.0 to 7.35 and shortwave broadcast at 39 meters. This spread of frequencies is most active at night, but propagation can bring activity in the two Ham bands. The current AM band wire antenna is fine for these frequencies.

Though an external oscillator can radiate to this radio and insert a carrier for SSB, the trick gets real old real quick. Much Ham conversion is of Ham activities, their equipment and antennas. You may find AM shortwave broadcasts in the 41 and 39 meter bands with human interest, social discussions etc from foreign countries. Without a Beat frequency oscillator some CW may "seem" to be heard but it is a result of mixed carriers of two or more stations.

When this radio was built such programming was rampant prior to WW-II and war reports during.

If there is someone local (20 miles or so) from you that is operating a Software Defined Radio SDR, that can be navigated to via your cell phone."Tune-in" to that station where the frequency can be changed to listen for stations that you could possibly receive with the Philco. There is an SDR map with hot links to these stations around the world. That, nearby radio is useful to determine of the band is "open", the SDR can decode CW, SSB, RTTY. There are other decoding tools but I, have not been able to get them to work well for me... BTW this is not an APP, nothing to install!

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Bryan

Got it.
I was asking as this seems to be a very nice 2kV cap you might need for other things, and it is a waste of a good cap whereas 500V 0.1uF cheap cap (my standard is 0.1uF 630VDC) would do fine, and will be smaller in size.

Mike

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Was picking up Atlanta 95.5 on AM band last night, very strong. Not much else. I'm near Chesterfield SC. Got a strong station out of PA on the shortwave band. Does pretty good on those. Still can't get local AM during the day.