Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-60 Started repair again

Hello Bryan,
I have siminlar jack on my Ge console and it works great !

Sincerely Richard

Hi Bryan, 

That looks like an early 1940s mod done by a Pro, using an adaptor sold by RCA.

This input has a sensitivity of approximately 0.5V to 3V s. If your "modern" turntable has a magnetic cartridge, a preamp is needed.

You state that the shortwave signals that you successfully receive are loud.  If so, then the IF alignment is good.  If you are getting a lot of loud buzzing noise instead of voice / music on the broadcast band, then definitely lengthen the antenna, and if possible, raise the height.  Also, consider opening the link and connecting a made ground to terminal 2 instead of the AC Outlet's ground.  You may get less noise.  If your shed has a water supply via a buried pipe, use that. Otherwise, go to Homeowner #&!! (Home Depot) and get a ground rod or even a piece of conduit (the ground rod is better) and hammer it into. the soil.  Sandy or loamy soil is best, clay is not as good.

You may be tempted to "diddle" with the IF, RF or oscillator adjustments.  Avoid doing so.  If you really must, then mark the current screw positions, and do not turn more than 1/4 turn in each direction.  If no improvement, return to the original position.

Hope this all helps!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

MrFixr55 - I'll try that separate ground rod as soon as possible.  I don't have a bathroom or pipes in the shed. I have a DENON DP-DJ151 with a Stanton 680 HIFI cartridge with 3 mV output. Turntable has a digital out (orange RCA), a phono/line switch and 2 left/right RCA audio outs.

I was looking at signal generators for alignment on Amazon. Was trying to get something in the $100-150 range, with the understanding I might have to get an attenuator for the output separately.  When you try to review on different forums, most hobbyist opt for the expensive stuff.   I'm not a collector, just trying to fix my father's radio.  Might have another smaller bakelite Emerson that was my sister's, but won't be doing several radios. Maybe 2-3.

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

Bryan

Well the audio section works well. No hum or static. Volume knob at little over 1/4. Loud and clear.

Tried to attach video but wouldn't work.  Even 2 MB file.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Bryan, 

Yeah, set the output of that Denon to "line" and use that.  You can get a 2 RCA Female - RCA Male Adaptor to get both channels, but right are just evaluating the audio section, which, after your work should be rather good.  Not Fisher 800C good but good.

If you get good shortwave, the alignments are likely good enough.  I don't have a signal generator but I have restored many radios (at least electronically) and for AM radios, you can survive without one.  (FM and TV is a different story.)

You may want to dig up the Emerson. If it is an AA5 (12SK7, 12SA7, 12SQ7, 50L6, 35Z5), these are very easy radios to fix.  Just replace the filter caps and the paper caps (there are only about 5 or 6).  Wiring should be in good shape.  You can then compare the performance of this with your Philco.  If you buy the signal generator, you are heading down the path to becoming a hobbyist.

Good luck, Best Regards, and keep posting your progress!

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Bryan

This site only allows video links, not the actual videos.
So if you put your video on, say, Youtube and post the link in the "attach video" box here, it will work.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Been trying to get the AM radio section working and found out why it won't. Tried my modern receiver in living room w antenna, no AM stations, just noise. Got in the car, drove to top of hill, no AM stations, just noise.

Here's the Youtube link.  https://youtu.be/2IfKICA25N8

Did a little more today after some yard work.  Re-did 2 solder joints on the power switch. Also added a new wire to one of the tubes. Picture is before I soldered the end. Seems the sections of wire heated by the tubes dry out and crack up, very brittle.

Tried the chassis mount bolts to see where the ends of the bolts went. Had to move some wires.

Attached Files Image(s)

There's no words for the person that designed the back plate that projects the light slit on the dial. 2 hour off and on cursing spree and finally got the replacement on.  They could have made the groove that the dial lets the knob pass through about an 1/8" wider and a socket on screwdriver would have worked. Closed end wrench, had the bolt push through and fall out. Packed TP in it. Had to get my little finger up in there and hold it.  Icon_crazy Icon_evil

Was testing cleaning the dial on the radio I had bought for replacement parts. The "mineral spirits" I have leaves an oily residue. The dial was filthy, looked like it had dried grease spots on it. If you rub long enough the print will come off even with the mineral spirits (the brand I had).  70% iso alcohol is about the same, seemed more agressive.   WD contact cleaner seemed to do better.

Think I'm pretty well finished with it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Drilled out the other electrolytic capacitor and inserted the head of the new one that had been hanging. Probably will leave the last one alone.  Other new cap is rather stiff in air where it's at, not floppy like the other one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lookin' good!! I do the tape or toilet paper trick on bolts and bods wrenches or sockets all the time! Expletives aid in disassembly / assembly. "If at first you don't receive, curse at it and try again!"

I am not shocked at the inability to receive AM stations. I live on Long Island, about 50 mi from the Empire State Building, and it is difficult to pick up any stations except a 20KW one about 10 miles from me. I don't know if it is the carrier current transmissions from the remote reading meters or what but it is brutal. Inside, I have to turn off about every piece of electronics (some I must unplug) before getting decent reception, even with an outdoor antenna!I have 2 home AM transmitters, one an iAM "Talking House", the other being a simple but well designed Vectronics kit (However, I think that Vectronics got out of the biz). The SSTrans are very nice but I think that they stopped building also. Google the to make sure.

You can always pipe your computer through the phono jack and call up some "OTR" (Old Time Radio) sites.

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Thanks !   I already ordered a Bluetooth receiver that's Alexa compatible with RCA outputs, and a Y connector. I'll just get Alexa to play 30's - 50's playlists.

Attached Files Image(s)