Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Two Philcos followed me home

I was over at a good friend's house and saw this old philco table radio sitting in his basement. I asked him about and he said it was free for the taking and there was a second one upstairs. The first one is a 41-255 that was sitting up on end and sustained some water damage. I think it can fix but the veneer has come off and the wood under it is warped. It's a shame as the rest is almost perfect. The other one is a 40-150. It's in good shape but needs a good cleaning a going over.

[Image: http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1295/46801...d59a_b.jpg]
Philco 41-255 by TBS-50, on Flickr

[Image: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4057/46807...b213_b.jpg]
Philco 40-150 by TBS-50, on Flickr

Some pic are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42774321@N08/4680734522/
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hey Terry . Nice find . I started to get a 40-150 but was afraid of all the buttons . Ipicked up a 37-93 nice set body looks great . But going to have to overhaul the whole chassi.
Kent.

Hi Kent
The buttons arn't any thing to be scares of. Actually I think my friend replace all the button on the '150 They look new. As It goes I think I like the '255 a bit better it has a more complete coverage of the SW bands.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Great acquisitions, Terry - but good luck with that cabinet side on that 41-255! Icon_eek

Wow, it looks like the side of that 41-255 has been sitting under water for a decade or so.

The 40-150 should be an easy restore, other than the usual rubber-covered wiring. Kent, as Terry said, don't let those pushbuttons intimidate you. Pushbuttons are your friends. Icon_smile It is nice to set up certain favorite AM stations and them just push a button and there is a favorite.

The 41-255 will be much more difficult to restore, and not just because of the cabinet problems with yours. The chassis is a real pain. Rubber-covered wiring galore, especially around the band switch which has three sections. Ugh. Icon_confused

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yep, I got a 41-255 just over (2) years ago for $25 at, believe it or not, an antique store. Talked down from $35. It's in pretty good shape. I love this Philco! Icon_biggrin Got the schematic and service info from Chuck Schwark, also same for a 42-1008, for a very good price. Icon_biggrin

Best regards,

Mike

I am envious!!!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Oh, hello Joe, how the heck are ya? Sometimes I get lucky and find some good stuff, but I've just re-entered the hobby in the last couple years. I wonder what I might have if I hadn't taken a 30-odd year hiatus from collecting. Well, never too late to begin afresh. There have been a couple '255's on ebay recently. Joe, if you're looking for something in particular and I happen to find it in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to let you know about it. Anything to help out.

Best Regards,

Mike

Mikhail7 Wrote:Oh, hello Joe, how the heck are ya? Sometimes I get lucky and find some good stuff, but I've just re-entered the hobby in the last couple years. I wonder what I might have if I hadn't taken a 30-odd year hiatus from collecting. Well, never too late to begin afresh. There have been a couple '255's on ebay recently. Joe, if you're looking for something in particular and I happen to find it in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to let you know about it. Anything to help out.

Best Regards,

Mike
Mike, how do you take a 30 year break from collecting when you're only 28...? Icon_lol Do you have any remnants from your collecting past?

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Am I only 28? Feels like it sometimes. Hello Music, I have an Army Signal Corps BC-348 I got from Fair Radio Sales in November 1974, an RME 45 from an old retired gent I knew back in the 70's who used to build and inspect amplifiers for AMI Jukebox Co. here in Grand Rapids, a hulking 80+ lb. Navy CFT 46245 receiver from the same gent, and a Philco 38-93 I got at a garage sale. I used to have a G.E. J-64, a Firestone S-7403-9 or some similar model #, a cabinetless 1936 RCA 6K2 and a Philco 42-345 I replaced an electrolytic to bring back to life in about 1971. I think I had a couple RAX and/or RAK receivers, an MN 26 "Y", and an RCA 9K3. Oh, and a Hallicrafters 5R10A, and a Silvertone. Dunno what happened, traded,taken without permission, stolen by Barnabas Collins in that parallel time lunacy they had going..... Icon_rolleyes Had fun with them tho. Icon_smile Sold a Magnavox Regency Symphony in about '72 I've been tolchocking myself over ever since. Icon_mad

Sounds like you got it covered! Icon_biggrin

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Mikhail7 Wrote:Oh, hello Joe, how the heck are ya? Sometimes I get lucky and find some good stuff, but I've just re-entered the hobby in the last couple years. I wonder what I might have if I hadn't taken a 30-odd year hiatus from collecting. Well, never too late to begin afresh. There have been a couple '255's on ebay recently. Joe, if you're looking for something in particular and I happen to find it in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to let you know about it. Anything to help out.

Best Regards,

Mike

Much appreciated Mike. Have a blessed holiday!

Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

You to Joe, and everyone. have a safe enjoyable holiday weekend.

Hi guys,
Terry, nice find on the 2 Philcos. The bad side may have some hope left in it.
It appears that only the top layer of veneer has seperated, (good) and all in one piece.
The base for the veneer only looks like it's cracked, and that can be filled.

By keeping the veneer intact, but removing it, you can repair the base, strip the veneer of old finiah, carefully fit and glue the whole piece back on. Make usre you use a lot of even pressure. Good clamps, with a flat board inbetween to help spread out the pressure.

After the piece is all dry and solid, you can then lightly sand, then refinsh as you wish.

By the way, I noticed in your photos the Truetone end table radio with flip out front. I bought two of those last year, waiting to redo them. I had bought that dial glass one night by itself. Then two weeks later the radios came up with one glass missing. At least it is back where it belongs now. I like the way the glass sticks out in front by itself.

Good luck with your sets.
Gary.