Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 14 Oscillator coil rewind

Good morning.

Does anyone have information on rewinding this coil? I didn't find any information on line. Specifically, I need to rewind the secondary and need number of turns and direction to wind. This radio came to me after someone else tried to rewind the coil unsuccessfully. 

Cheers,
Scott

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20129B.pdf

So which winding on #19 is open?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

My radio matches this schematic: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf.

The secondary of #16 was rewound by someone in the past. The windings are sloppy and the radio won't oscillate. I don't want to assume that the number and direction of the windings are correct. I'm hoping someone can verify.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I don't have any exact numbers for wire ga, # of turns, direction. Too bad this coil as been damaged so that you need info at is not available. Looks like you have a couple of options. Find a parts chassis or use what info you have to rewind the coil.

If you what to give an approximation a try I would go with 38ga copper wire 5' length. Wound in the same direction as the primary. If it won't oscillate all the way to the bottom of the band add a few more turns.

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry,

No worries. I'll try your suggestion, and search for a parts set if needed.

Cheers,
Scott

I was lucky enough to find a parts set. 

For future reference, the secondary of the oscillator coil is 17 turns of #36 wire.  Wind anti-clockwise (as viewed from the bottom of the coil) beginning at the second lug on the left and winding towards the top. Connect the other end of the winding to the first lug from the left. 

All is well now.

Cheers,
Scott

We'll have to get Nathan on the job to add this info to the library.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry