Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60 antenna coil: help needed
Question 

So I'm currently restoring a Philco 60 model. I'm unsure of what exact date it's from but the cabinet makes it look like one of the 1933 models. I'm having some trouble actually understanding how the antenna coil itself maps to the schematic. I've done some research and found the schematic but I'm unsure of how to read it as this is my first restoration where I've had to work with coils (by far not my first radio but my first Philco). My first question is: do the resistances between pins shown in the included picture correlate to those two pins having a winding connected to them? (for example, pins 2 and 3 being connected via winding) because if so, my coil was wound wrong from the start.

Is the resistance between the "top" and pin 4 supposed to be 11 ohms? My coil doesn't have a connection between pin 4 and the top pin.

Does anyone else with a 60-type radio have any resources for me (possibly some notes) regarding the antenna coil?

Thanks,
-Terry

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and welcome,

Why don't you start off with posting a pic of the cabinet front and back. This will give us a reference point to figure out the age. I don't think there's too much differences between the yrs and ant coils. Most of the circuit changes till 1937 were adding bias resistors and bypass caps.
I see you have the top part of coil data for the 60 here's the rest: https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...#Philco_60

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

deerman Wrote:Is the resistance between the "top" and pin 4 supposed to be 11 ohms?

It is.

deerman Wrote:My coil doesn't have a connection between pin 4 and the top pin.

Then it sounds like your coil has an open primary winding.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

So, where do you go from here? You can 1. Replace the transformer, or 2. Rewind the primary yourself. If you rewind, the important thing to watch for is because the primary is in 2 sections, the new wire will have to be wound in the same direction as the old wire. It's not critical to have exactly the same number of turns or exactly same size wire. In the meantime you might be able to run an antenna wire right to the 6A7 grid cap and pick up some strong stations.