Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A rare Electrohome console made for Eatons

i bought this one  about a week ago and it took a while to find out the exact model.
  It is an Electrohome  model Z8A83X-E.
      I finally found the schematics  from Steve Johnson. I have it recapped and playing good.
 The cabinet is stripped,and the next step is grain filler
Dan in Calgary                            

Living in Calgary Alberta

Nice chassis. Should be easy to work on.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well now...that's a very interesting DE set! I've never seen one with that dial and control layout.

I don't find that model number in either the RCC or Electrohome manuals, but it's not uncommon to find unpublished schematics for Grimes/Dominion Electrohome sets when the chassis is slightly changed from a previous model. But that makes restoration more "interesting"

That's the kind of chassis I appreciate! Lots of 'elbow room' to work in. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I was looking through the numbers on the PacificTV website, there were some that were close, but not close enough. Brad is right though, sometimes Grimes-Phonola/Dominion Electrohome would warm over a chassis for more then one model year, which is why I was looking through the previous year models. The model numbers Phonola/D-E used for their chassis did include a year, but it was the date the circuit diagrams were approved, not the year of production, usually it was a model for the following year, but not always, I've seen some that were dated around 1940, but not actually produced until 1947. I would like to know why Eatons seemingly carried two different private label brands of radio, Viking of course, and Minerva. apparently concurrently?  (not to be confused with the AC/DC, line operated only, steel cased portables of the late WW2 and post war era). I have run across pictures of that console model somewhere, I have a feeling that it may have been a licensed copy of a U.S made set, a Howard perhaps? 
Regards
Arran

I bought the schematic from Steve  Johnson, and here is a copy
 Dan in Calgary
.pdf Electrohome 8S83X-E.pdf Size: 1.1 MB  Downloads: 118

Dan;
  Not a bad circuit, uses a 6K8 for a mixer-oscillator, and a proper tuned RF amplifier stage, strange that it only has three bands but then again it is a an Eaton's set.

I now have the radio all done so here are a few photos.
 Dan in Calgary                                    

Beautiful job. Dan! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Wow Dan, amazing job! Looks great!

I wonder if that model is featured in any of the Eatons catalogs?

Dan

Beautiful job. An eye-pleaser.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Just for anyone looking for information on Phonola’s or Electrohome’s. The University of Waterloo was kind enough to send me Service Notes, parts lists and schematics for a couple of Phonola radios that I restored. They have this information on Electrohome/Phonola in their “Special Collections and Archives” section of their library.

Hello Dan,
what amazing job !
Hamilton that is great news .

Sincerely Richard