Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60L Speaker

I ended up with another 60L, though it is a later one and though mostly restored, the speaker cone is shot and it needs more work overall. I don't think there are any places in my area reconing these speakers anymore or any in Ohio that I can think of, so I might have to do a speaker swap. Are there any speakers that can be swapped from other Philco models? My buddy has some speakers up in his shop yet, but I need to be getting there tomorrow if possible as he is getting ready to close up shop and set up for a sale of the final bits of his collection and parts in the back room. Any help is appreciated! I'll post a picture of this radio and the other Philco I got later on in the Phinds thread. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

The original speaker used in al Model 60 sets was the S-7.

Other Philco models which used it include the following:

37-60, 37-61, 37-62, 37-610B, 37-610T, 37-620B, 38-62, 38-9T, 38-10T, 38-60, 38-620

In a pinch, you could use a K-7 or K-21 speaker, which may be found in the following Philco models:

19B (NOT code 128), 43B, 71B, 71L, 89B, 89H

Another possibility is the S-14:

610F, 610T, 620, 625 (all 1936 models)

Really, any 1932-1938 8 inch Philco speaker with an 1125 to 1140 ohm field coil can be made to work with the proper output transformer made to match a single 42 or 6F6G tube to a 1 ohm voice coil. For more ideas, look over the Philco Speakers spreadsheet - speakers.zip - available here:

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=215

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron! I was wondering as I think my buddy has a couple speakers from 89Bs that were salvaged over the years and they sure look the same. Sadly, I have yet to see one of these Philco speakers that you can read the information on anymore.

I got an 89B that was missing two knobs and a wrecked cabinet from my buddy cheap today and the speaker looks like I can repair it enough to work for now. He said he knows of places that still re-cone speakers, so if the 60L has nothing major wrong, I'll have that speaker re-coned and put it back in later. I swear I looked at five 60Bs, three 89Bs, and two 89 consoles and I think I counted possibly three slightly different speakers in the 89s. The parts one I got has a slightly larger field coil than on my 60L, so I will meter it soon to be sure. Actually, I have enough parts to make the two 89 consoles completer now as well if I decide to get one.

Yes, the 89 uses either a K-7 or a K-21 speaker. The field coil and pot of the K series speakers are larger than those of the S-7, but the field coils of both the K-7/K-21 and S-7 are rated at 65 mA. The K-7/K-21 will produce a bit more bass due to the larger field.

Remember, the model 60 was a cheaper radio than the 89, so it had a cheaper speaker with a smaller field and pot.

Don't forget Rich Stamer in NJ if you decide to have one of those speakers reconed...

https://ammonlabstrainingacademy.com/soundremedynj/

Some of us here on the Phorum have used Rich's services in the past and I'm not aware of anyone who has had a single bad experience with his work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks again, Ron. Upon pulling the 60L speaker to get a better look at it, it is no wonder the radio isn't making any real sound as the speaker is totally kaput! Whoever restored the radio tried to repair the cone, but the spider is all messed up with on broken arm and the voice coil is seized. So, it's not even good for a re-cone job it seems. I already and starting the work on the replacement speaker as it seems near impossible to find one of these Philco 8 inch speakers around here without some damage.

The 60L speaks! After doing some repair on the replacement speaker, it is in the console and it now works fairly well. It also looks like the original speaker might be able to be re-coned as both coils are okay and the voice coil will move if I gently lift it up from the bottom. Its the warped cone and damaged spider that are holding it down as far as it will go.

Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

If you get Rich Stamer to replace the speaker, he replaces the spider as part of the job.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN