Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Project: 1934 Colonial 662 (corrected model)

Lots of work on this set this weekend. First off, to diagnose the oscillator problem. I replaced all the paper caps, and the suspect 50k resistor, and the paper caps. Still no stations, and now there was an LF instability in the whole set as soon as the tuning cap was more than half open, with the set blowing raspberries from the speaker. At the end of the day, I returned to checking wiring and component values from the schematic, and found a broken wire from the converter tube grid circuit to the oscillator section of the tuning cap. OK, something to go on, and a good end to the day.

Today I removed the tuning cap, which was needed anyway, to replace the rubber bushings. I punched these out of some silicone foam, and added new wires to the cap #28 enameled wire, with cloth insulation slipped over it was a close match to the original. With this, I finally had some reception, but still a very unstable receiver. Whistles on stations up to about 100 on the dial, after that raspberries from the speaker, on either band. Eventually I tracked this to a bad solder joint connecting one of my restuffed caps. With that restored, I was able to align the radio and it really pulls in stations. Icon_smile

Pics tomorrow,

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

A few pics Icon_smile

Fine wires leading to the tuning capacitor stators. Notice the osc section on the left has a broken connection. These had so little spare that the breakage was probably due to the additional movement due to the perished rubber mounting grommets:

New grommets cur from silicone foam rubber:

Tuning cap with new wiring, ready for reinstallation. 

Playing some music

Nice and clean! Looks GR8!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

This weekend. I found time to restuff the two electrolytic cans. All is still working nicely. The chassis is waiting for a new line cord, still to be delivered, and will get new antenna and earth leads before returning to the cabinet.

Ed

Looking great!
Icon_clap

Another one over the finish line. I'm pleased with it and particularly enjoyed working on this radio for some reason I cannot quire explain.

Cute set.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello Ed,
Nice little set !

Sincerely Richard

Great job! Ed Icon_clap

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words.

She is a beaut. Nice size, maybe I could sneak one that in unoticed!

I think Colonial made a lot of stuff for SEARS if its the same Colonial I am familiar with.

Enjoy.

Paul B

Tubetalk1

Hello Paul,
Yes it is the same company and I own a bunch of sears radios made by them also Arvin .

Sincerely Richard

I like that mantle style, thanks for confirming Rich.

Paul