Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 3116X Question

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

I recently had an opportunity to pick up a Canadian Philco 3116. It doesn’t show an X on the chassis label but it has the two 6A3 tubes so it must be a X model. I don’t know if there is a different schematic for Canadian sets and if there is, where can I obtain one?

It will be a challenge for me to say the least but I will take my time and with help from the more experienced members, hopefully it will work out. 

I’m starting with the two electrolytics, Parts #103 and #104. These two caps have been replaced before and I don’t want to make a mistake when I put in my replacement caps. 

In the first photo, electrolyic #104, on the left, is totally disconnected and electrolytic #103, to the right, only the blue dot portion of the cap where the blue circle is, of #103 is still connected. The red circle lug of #103 is disconnected. 

I’m assuming the blue circle connection is the 10 mfd portion of #103. The - of this cap is connected to the center tap, #3 in the photo, and the + is connected to chassis ground. The #4 wire, cream colored, in the photo is also connected to the center tap and goes to the #92, the audio transformer.

#1 and #2 on his replacement cap are both 24 mfd’s with both - connections going to #3 center tap. The + wire from #1 goes to the left hand lug of the filter choke,  and then to Pin #1 of the 5Z3. The + connection from #2 goes to the speaker socket first, then on to right hand side of the filter choke. Are all these connections correct? 

I wanted ask what size my replacement caps should be. Can I use 10 mfd for all three or go higher? Also, why would the person who did the previous repair use only one side of an existing dual cap, #103, and disconnect the other side. I’m still learning so I don’t understand why it was done in this manner. 

In the second photo I wanted to confirm if the yellow box contains Part #102. The parts list shows #102 as a bakelite box. If it isn’t Part #102…what is it? The red box in the same photo shows the filter choke.

I hope I didn’t confuse everybody with all my arrows and numbers. It took me longer to write this post then it would take most of you to repair the radio! If I didn’t explain my issues clearly, please ask for further information.

I realize that this post is basic stuff for most members but if there’s anything I don’t want to mess up, it’s the electrolytics. My schematic reading is improving but I have a lot to learn and I have no problem with asking for assistance.

Attached Files Image(s)

Most of the time the letter after the model number indicates what type of cabinet chassis is in. The 116 chassis came in two table top models in '36 (B) and a console (X).

This might be a little easier to follow.
Just checked the specs on the 6A3 tube and that 10mf at 50v should be a 100v cap. The bias voltage at +325 on the plate is -63 on the grid.

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions as I move along.

Is it still possible to order Philco schematics from Chuck Schwark. I looked all over the site and wasn’t able to locate any information as to whether this service was available. I may not be looking in the correct spot as well.

I’m in need of a better schematic then the one I have for the Philco 3116X that I am starting to work on. If anyone can let me know if Chuck is still providing this service or any other options for a better schematic it would be appreciated.

Chuck's website is no longer online. Icon_sad I don't think he had any Canadian Philco Service Bulletins, anyway.

You can get a clean, high resolution Service Bulletin for the American equivalent, model 116X, here:

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20222A.pdf

You'll also need the 116B bulletin to get full coverage:

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...%20222.pdf

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, much better then the one I was using!

Just looked at the schematic, this radio will kick butt when you finish fixing it.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55