Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What Model is this?

I bought this years ago. Now i want to fix it up. But i can't seem to find anything about this model.  The plaque inside says Chassis 54A. I havent seen anything else. And have not seen another radio like it.         

This is a Canada-only model, with no USA equivalent.

Model 54AX (its full designation) is a 1942 model.

Here is the Radio College of Canada service info:

Right-click on either image, then select Open in New Tab to see a larger version of the image.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you for the info

It looks like they followed the lead of Canadian Marconi, they used two smaller gangs in the tuning condenser for short wave reception, so it's a four gang tuner, kind of like some AM/FM sets have. What stinks is that that the cheapskates only have one IF amplifier, but used a separate triode (6J5) connected as a detector diode, then used another triode as a 1st audio. They could have added an extra IF amp in that socket, and used a 6Q7 as 1st audio, detector/AVC, or a 6B8 as an IF amp and detector. Phonola/Electrohome used to add an extra IF amp without adding a third IF can all the time in their battery sets, so I'm not sure what the guys at Philco were thinking. My guess is that the model 54 is based around one of the U.S made Tropic models, at least in the front end, though I don't recall Ron running into one with separate sections in the tuning condenser for the shortwave bands. 
Regards
Arran

Thank you for information

Arran,

I don't think the Canadian 54A was based on any USA design. It's too different from any USA model that I am aware of...rdprcialy that oddball tuning condenser...and I have owned many of the higher tube count Philco Tropics over the years (not anymore!).

It seems to me that this is an actual Canadian design, or possibly a USA design which never went into production in this country (for export or domestic use).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron;
  It's too bad that they made this set look like a Canadian Westinghouse, cabinet wise, but left out the tuned RF amplifier stage that many of those had.
Regards
Arran