Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Transitone Model L1427 schematic

Hi everyone , I have just acquired a Philco L1427 set.Sadly it comes without cables and head unit. But I am keen to explore it.Can anyone date this set so I can look in the right year of Riders or perhaps even tell me where I can find the schematic? Thanks all and cheers.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_lincoln_l1427.html

Thank you Fenbach.It is exactly the right one.The back story on this radio must be quite a story. Lincolns were very rare here in New Zealand back in the 1930s. Chevs , Fords predominated with a sprinkling of Olds, Pontiacs Desotos Studebakers etc. But a Lincoln was quite a rarity. Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Hi everyone,Thanks to Fenbach I am now assessing this radio. On reflection I think I know what model of Lincoln it probably came from. Fords in N.Z. in the 30s were assembled by The Colonial Motor Company in Lower Hutt.My father worked there briefly just prior to the war.The model Lincoln they were assembling there was the Lincoln Zephyr.I have seen two of these over the years here in the South Island and there may have been many more in N.Z. as a whole.The workers at the Hutt plant referred to them as "blinkin' heifers ",whether in affection or derogation I don't know.If memory serves their four speed gearbox was much prized by hotrod builders.
I have made progress with the set.All the valves (tubes) have been removed and their filaments checked -all intact.The Philco vibrator buzzed but no A.C. appeared at the rectifier. A postmortem revealed only two of the four wires were still connected so that vibrator put to one side. The buffer cap was removed and found to be predictably leaky. A known to be good vibrator ,tho', produced a healthy a.c. voltage (400 volts ) on the anode pins of the socket so we make progress. I'm hoping the output tube will prove okay as it is very rare and I don't have another in my reserves.Next job is to check the output transformer for continuity.

Hi everyone again, Well, that was easy-and a tribute to Philco engineering of 86 years ago. I put in a new high voltage buffer cap and then worked my way backwards from the output tube toward the r.f. amp.Everything worked! The volume control pot is a little scratchy and it is working into my bench speaker ,none coming with the set but overall the re-commissioning is a great success. There seems to be only one cap replaced over the years and one valve (tube).The rest are all Philco branded tubes.If only it had come with the header unit / dash controls! This is the first Class B output radio I have come across. It goes well.

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup