Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

52-540 tuner

I received this radio and original condition and it was not working. After replacing the capacitors and one weak tube, I now have it playing.. my question has to do with the tuning condenser.. the tension on the dial string pulls it downward so that the large pulley is rubbing on another metal object. See photograph with green arrow. This means that, when I turn the tuning knob, the string just slips and the tuning condenser does not rotate. Using a screwdriver or similar tool I can lever the tuning condenser up, allowing me to operate the pulley, but when I stop pushing with the screwdriver, the string tension pulls the shaft back down. The assembly seems to float within the frame.. What do I need to do to put this back into good operating condition?

Attached Files Image(s)

Is it mounted up on rubber grommets? Could be they are shot.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Quite often the tuning condenser is mounted on rubber grommets and the grommets are usually dried out or worn flat. I usually replace them with firm rubber grommets to limit movement yet get the isolation.

Thanks, guys. Turns out there are rubber grommets involved, but they are on the sides of the condensor, not the bottom. See brown objects in photos. P all three of these rubber mounts are turning into powder. Acc to the schematic, they are part number 27-4771-1
Any ideas for a good replacement?

Attached Files Image(s)

You might check these out: http://www.renovatedradios.com/product.php?product=313  Double check the sizes to see if it is suits your needs. If not have a look around the site maybe there is something that will. GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks GL