Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Undocumented Model?

I'm trying to help a guy on Reddit to identify this Highboy with an 89 chassis type but I haven't been able to figure it out.  Thought this would be the best place to ask.  Anyone know what this is?

Hi,

It is a Philco 89 chassis installed inside a custom, third party cabinet. In other words, the cabinet is not a factory Philco issue.

There were companies in the 1930s which offered fancier, more ornate cabinets which you could install your existing radio chassis into. Think of it as an upgrade - they did at the time. Unfortunately, 90 years on, these often cause confusion because they are not shown on websites (such as the Gallery on this site) which document all known Philco prewar radio models, as well as most postwar radio sets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!

I figured it was a custom cabinet. It looked pretty close to some of the early 30's Highboys but the legs and scroll work were way different.

Any info on those companies that did this that you're aware of?

Thanks!

The cabinet kind of reminds me of a FADA, or a Stromberg Carson, both produced models in rather gaudy cabinets, but I think Ron is right about it being an aftermarket highboy cabinet. It was likely made by a furniture company, but unless there is a name branded into the back, or a brass plate somewhere, one would have to look through old catalogs (I.E Allied Radio) to find out who made it. There is a site that has many old radio magazines and catalogs posted but I can't remember the web address, it's very interesting what they have there.  
Regards
Arran

I think the site Arran is thinking of is

https://worldradiohistory.com/

Thanks everyone. This has been a fun adventure. World Radio History is a great site. I downloaded a Rider's manual in PDF form from there before that has been a huge help with restorations.

I looked at some allied radio catalogs and saw something referencing a "Knight" radio in a "Plymouth" cabinet. The feet looked pretty similar but I haven't found a match yet.

I'll keep looking and if I figure out a way to solve it I'll let you know. In the meantime, shhhhhh. Be vewy, vewy qwiet - I'm hunting "rabbets". ?