Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1937 Philco Radiobar

Hey all...
A friend found this sitting in an old warehouse and I am in the process of restoring it.
It's the exact match of the photo about 3/4's down on this page marked a  Model 510-37-650, although I have my doubts about whether that is correct after further research.
https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...radiobars/

Unfortunately, it no longer has any labels or useful markings on the chasis and every piece of corresponding information I find doesn't seem to match.  Mostly I was looking for the paperwork and schematics for the radio but nothing I find matches.

Anyway, I have refinished and reworked the cabinet considerably, got the radio working (the capacitor blew after about 5 minutes in a spectacular fiery blaze, but I am having it fixed), and have had all the chrome refinished and I expect this thing to be an absolute beauty when completed.

My last issue is the glassware, about which I have spent a considerable amount of time researching.   With the radio we found a box that contained about 1/2 of the original glassware and I plan on trying to complete the set.  The problem here is that there seem to be several different variations. i.e. rocks glasses with round bottoms, as opposed to hexagon which seems to be more rare and hence more valuable.  The rocks glasses I have have a different pattern from the shot, highball and juice glasses but are also Federated and seem to have come with some of the Radiobars.   Anyway, what I am after ideally is anything that would show what glasses come with what models, but more important to me would be documentation that shows what an actual complete set looks like.   If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it.  I have attached photos of what it looked like when we found it, the way the cabinet looks now, the chasis, and one of each glass I have.  I will certainly post the completed project at another time. 

Appreciate any info that anyone can provide.

Attached Files Image(s)

---------------------------
        because I can.

www.davecoup.com

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Very nice piece! If you use the Search at the top and search on "Glassware" you will find a number of discussions within the Phorum about the glassware in Radiobars. Hopefully something there will be helpfult for you.

Glad you found the Radiobar section in our library.

Another source for info on Radiobars is the Mulhollandpress folks. See the Phonographs pulldown section and you will find Radiobars (with 6 subsections including one on glassware).

Others can probably look at the chassis and instantly know which one it is. To me it looks like a 1936 model 116. It has the shadowgraph, the right eschutcheon and 11 tubes. A photo of a 116B (B is the cabinet style) is in our gallery: https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1936a/#Model_116B

Schematics for 116 are here in our library: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

The code 122 schematic (an updated version of the code 121): https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Hi Davecoup,

Having looked at the 37-650 schematic, I don't think that the chassis is a 37-650.  There are too many tubes.

It may be a 16 (ca 1934-1935 based on the following Tube diagram from the Philco Library, posted by Nathan Slingerland:

If you search the Philco Library for 16, you will find several tube and chassis labels.  Search the service info here at the Phorum and you will find the schematics.  I will put them here for your convenience:
Codes 121 and 123:
.pdf Philco 16.pdf Size: 583.61 KB  Downloads: 71

Codes 125, 126, 127:
.pdf Philco 16 Types 125-127.pdf Size: 1.1 MB  Downloads: 76

There are 2 iterations of this chassis, codes 121, 123 and Codes 125, 126, 127.  The main difference being that the former has a separate AVC tube and the Latter has an RF Amp. Both have separate Oscillator and Mixer tubes, and both have a triode-wired Class AB2 AF Amp that likely puts out at least 10-15 Watts.  Therefore, this thing is high end and kicks @$$!  Perfect for a Radiobar, except that if it kicks @$$, it rattles glass.

*****************UPDATE********************
Klondike98, a Supermoderator and much more knowledgeable than me thinks that this a 116. Tee 116 is similarto the 16 and came out in 1936, the year that Radiobar switched from Gilfillan to Philco radio chassis. However, Radiobar did install radios to Customers order because the Gilfillan was not high end.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

I agree with Bob (klondike) - the radio chassis is a 1936 model 116. You can tell the Radiobar cabinet is a 1936 model since the escutcheon is oval, which Philco only used in the 1936 model year.

Actually, it is a 116B chassis, code 121, as it obviously uses 42 output tubes instead of the 6A3 outputs used in the 116-122. Still, it is a high end chassis, one of Philco's best.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the info Gents... I appreciate it.

because I can.

www.davecoup.com

Now the $64 question is does it have the 8" or the 10 1/2" speaker? Both were available during the run of the 116B. Early 10 1/2" late 8". They're great players I have three of them.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The cone measures 9.75 and it's 11.5 to the outside of the mount, so I assume it's the 10"

As far as the speaker, I am shocked that it is in working condition and not dry-rotted after 87 years, especially considering the thing just sat in a warehouse unprotected for who knows how many of those years. They sure don't make them like that anymore.

because I can.

www.davecoup.com

Does it have H-13 stamped in ink on the back of the frame?

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Dave,

Here is the Tube Lable for the 116 Code 121 from the Phorum's Library, again, courtesy of Nate Slingerland:

This may be cropped, so go to the library to get a better copy than what I printed.  Note that the layout is similar to the 16.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

It's does indeed.

Attached Files Image(s)

because I can.

www.davecoup.com

Kewl! That the one used in the early tombstone.  https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1936a/#Model_116B. Just to make things clear the 116 code 121 is the table top or tombstone. The code 122 is the console model. It has a larger power supply and audio output stage. The rest is the same.

Quick troubleshooting tip. Use an ohm meter to measure the resistance on the spkr plug from one pin to the other three. Should see less than 4000 ohms or so. If not one side or both sides of the output transformer are open. Not an unusual problem.

Obtw Here's the service bulletin for that set (116B). With this you won't have to flip between the two model (the B and X) to see the whole picture.

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...%20222.pdf

Good Luck

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry