Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 alignment equip hook-up question

New to the forum, it's a good source of information/help.

I'm restoring a 41-280 chassis, & have re-cap'd it, checked for other obvious problems, and have gotten it to be able to receive & play a local station - not very many local AM stations in my area.  I would like to do an alignment but am unclear about the exact hook-up points.

I have a Precision Apparatus E-200-C vacuum tube sig gen that can do 400 Hz modulation of the carrier, a new B&K 4040B function generator, a Fluke DVM, HeathKit VTVM (may or may not be working), & a Simpson 260 analog meter.

I'm to hook up the signal generator to the antenna screw terminals on the back, somehow.  Is the antenna completely removed for this?  And that connection is for the 1st alignment operation described in the manual.  The other 5 alignment steps say 'Use loop on generator'.  Does that mean re-attach the antenna to the chassis & then make sore sort of loop that is near the original antenna to couple the sig gen into the antenna?  

And where do I attach the leads from VTVM/DVM/Simpson to monitor the results of my tweaking IF cans?  Directly across the voice coil leads?  Across the AVC signal line? If so, where is the AVC signal that I can hoop up to?  BTW, I'm not that strong on vacuum tube electronics, and look to learn a bit more.

Help & guidance is appreciated.