Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 41-610P tonearm questions

I'm fairly new here and hoping for some help from your experience. I've been restoring a Model 41-610P with the BOL tonearm. I've recapped and replaced the disintegrated wire in the radio but I don't have the speaker so I haven't attempted any full testing yet. That can wait a bit.

Most people I see here who've worked with the BOL note the difficulty with the tonearm restoration. I'm looking for anyone experienced with BOL that can perhaps provide some insight. I'm happy to provide any pictures that would be helpful.

Observations / Questions:
The original stylus is in good shape. The rubber on the mirror assembly still seems fairly soft and flexible to me but I'm not sure how flexible it should be. Definitely not "petrified" like some have described. If I want to replace the rubber, does anyone have a recommendation on what material to use?

The original bulb works (which is great because they are impossible to find)  but it was a bear to remove because the gooey paper plug that was used to hold it in place was stuck in the tube. But the bulb works so good.

I don't know what to make of the photocell. If I focus the bulb on it with 3v supply I get about 65 mV output. Waving a piece of paper in front of the bulb shows the fluctuation on the reading as expected. Does that mean it is ok? I'm not sure what kind of frequency response it still has. Most people have said their photocells were toast and had to be replaced. What would be a good test besides trying to play a record with it?

Also, the mirror has some tarnish on it that can't be removed. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to replace the mirror. Does anyone have any suggestions on best material to use?

You might want to get ahold of oldrestorer 
Kirk has lot of bol parts 
The rubber may feel soft but take it apart and clean needle shaft  my is still soft and works fine
You will probably have to replace photocell haven’t found a good one yet bought mine from china years ago will have to search for that good luck 
Mirror are small has to have a good one  so the light reflects off it 

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Thank you Sam for the reference. I sent OldRestorer a note.
One more thing... I did get the changer to work except it will not cycle at the end of the record. I've reviewed the troubleshooting info in Part 62-Philco RMS Yearbook for my changer (pg 135-144) but no luck. Is your changer a similar model and have you had any issues with the reject trigger?

No my eject works fine  the problem I have is some times when it drop needle down it will go to the 10 spot instead of the 12 spot 
Also the little speaker is a mic  they say for loud speaker. I did not get that to work
I have the 41-608 you can see in gallery 
Philco used 4 different turn tables for bol  but 41 and 42 years are similar

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2