Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor lead length/mounting

As I work through these two 41-250 and 41-255 I find that the length of the capacitor leads isn’t enough to do direct connection of the caps. 
I have to put on a length of wire to one end of the candleohm resistor and run it to the common negative of the 8 and 16 MFD caps.  This works but I’m not happy with one end just hanging in space. I’ve wrapped this well and put plastic tubing on the leads so it’s electrically fine - the radio functions well.

Can you get caps with extra long leads or is there a better solution? I suppose I can custom order a cap with longer leads.

> Can you get caps with extra long leads

Not that I am aware of. If longer leads are needed when I replace caps, I just lengthen them. This is easy when I am restuffing old paper capacitor bodies - just add the long leads near each end of the capacitor body, then put the new cap inside the old paper shell, seal with hot glue, and no one will know the difference. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I’ve avoided getting into that but I think I’m going to have to start doing that. I’ve also got the instructions somewhere for making reproduction dogbone resistors.
I suppose it could be a retirement side gig.

It is easy.

Also, if I had to do this, instead of cutting a paper strip to stop hot glue from flowing inside (and lose shape), I simply formed a spiral out of the cap's own leads, to which then I would solder the piece of solid wire used as the extended lead. Then I would pot.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.