Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco All-Purpose Set Tester Model 048A

Group: Some of you may have seen the pristine 1936-ish model 048A All Purpose Set Tester on ebay recently. I was the winner of that auction and probably paid too much, but I couldn't resist.
This unit looks like it was used briefly when it was new and then was tucked away for 85+ years and then found in an attic when a house was being cleaned out. Anyhow, the wooden cabinet is in excellent shape with the original handle looking like new and the Philco logo on front being unblemished.
It included all of the probes that originally came with it - and the hang tags that attached to the switches when it was new (Nathan S. I will scan those for inclusion in the library) and the best of all - all 3 of the original Philco P-155 "C" batteries (22.5 V each) still in place. They are awesome - the tar in the top has the voltages stamped in them. The 1.5V "flashlight battery for the ohmmeter is a 1930s Burgess uni-cell replacement with a 1933 patent date so it too has been there a long time. No mods have been done to this one and it is as original as they come. so many of them were converted to using battery eliminators - this was the first one I have seen that was not modified. If there is every a Philco museum, this one should be in it. -- Andy

Attached Files Image(s)

Andy Sorrell
Palmyra, Virginia

Andy, that's a beauty, congratulations Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Very nice!

Icon_thumbup

hello Andy,
That is a great find and anyone who is a true Philco or test equpment collector would enjoy it .

Sincerely Richard