Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 610b repair

Hello Everyone,
Well, I am currently working on my Philco 610b after about 20 years the original electrolytic capacitors that I installed sprague Atoms one went bad so I decided this time to use Film capacitors .

I replaced two of the 3 capacitors they were 8 ufd so I used two 3.9ufd at 630 volt.  
Well the question is The 3rd capacitor is a 16ufd electrolytic anyway I was planning on using 3 4.7ufd capacitors in parallel doing so it would add up to 14 ufd would you think I would have any issues with using that value .

Here is my neat little package that i made up to fit into the original 8ufd electrolytic cans .

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Rich,

I too have started using film capacitors to replace electrolytics. 

Three 4.7uf to replace a 16uf will probably be OK, try it and see, if the hum is not objectionable, call it good.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Look at the +/- of the replacement vs the +/- of the 16 which was probably close to 50% +/- .

Hello Steve,
For radios that I am keeping in my collection which have the room I will use Film Capacitors .
Yes David ,
the new replacement film capacitors are 4.7ufd at 630 volts plus or minus 5% !

Thanks guys
Sincerely Richard

Somewhere, I remember that electrolytic caps from the 40s and 50s were rated -20 / +50 %.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Is there some kind of performance benefit in using high capacity film caps over electrolytics? There certainly isn't a cost benefit.

Jim

Yes.

Film capacitors used in place of electrolytics will have a (nearly) indefinite life, while electrolytics will only last typically 20 to 30 years.

I, too, generally use film capacitors in place of electrolytics when it is practical to do so. I cut open and restuff 1930s aluminum electrolytic cans as well as copper Mershons and nickel plated Spragues with Solen Fast film caps.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello jim,
well, the cost is not the issue and as Ron said they will outlast me this great since some of radios might only be used once a month this prolongs the shelf life and the stress on the set there is no loss .

So Ron 14ufd Should do just fine then because their tolarance is fairly wide like MrFixr55 pointed out.

My next radio is my Philco Bullet and I will make a restoration post about it !

Sincerely Richard
P.S

Hello Ron,
Anyway I ended using 4 3.9ufd film capacitors in parallel for total of 15.ufd
far as those Solen Fast film caps. i did notice that

Well I did noticed with the volume all the way down there is vary faint hum
Far as this set there should be some hum right with the design or is 15ufd not enough
what about lead length of the capacitor leads in the metal can or weak tube.

Sincerely Richard
P.S. far as those Solen Fast film caps maybe I will order some for this and my Philco 38-10