Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unusual 116X Console

Found this unusual 1936 116X has the 116B tombstone chassis (code 121) installed from the factory instead of the 116X console chassis (code 122) any thoughts? Also has the smaller speaker in it instead of the larger one. Cabinet has a build date of March 31, 1936.            

Attached Files Image(s)

The blue label says 116 code 121.

Radiomuseum photo of 116 code 121 chassis.

Are you sure it is a 16 chassis?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Edit, morzh meant to put 116B chassis.

Well,

that looks like yet another Phranken-Philco, probably cobbled together at the factory in order to clear it of old inventory before they began producing the then-new 1937 models in May 1936. The tube layout label, plus the blue "CHASSIS TYPE 116 CODE 121" label, is a dead giveaway of this.

The 116X and 116B were 1936 models, in spite of what Radiomuseeeeeum says (they are misleading people by giving "build dates" instead of going by model years, as the manufacturers originally did). There is a more accurate Philco photo gallery, right here on this very website:

https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron long time since we last talked that's what I figured to. At the time of purchase I wonder if the customer knew they were getting the less powerful 10W version than what the 116X advertised (15W) chassis and sold disclosed to them at a discount.

What difference does it make if my comfortable listening level is 3 watts?

Hello radioRay,
What a great find I wonder how many of these were built and only having 10 watts that is still enought to rock out with !
I have Ge console that puts out 10watts and it will blow you out the house .

Sincerely Richard

I think you may find that the power output is higher then 10 Watts, the power output stage is the same as a 118 style set, triode connected #42s driven by a triode connected #42 driver, in a class A-B arrangement. The difference between the console and table version chassis is that the console version used a pair of 6A3 triodes rather then triode connected pentodes.
Regards
Arran