Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Admiral or Detrola

So for the radio historians in our group.....

I have a few  Admiral sets, nothing fancy but good sets for 5 tubers. One I can say is a "real" Admiral, another 2 bear an awful close resemblence to a Truetone I have, the loop antennas are identical, so are the labels.

I know a bit about Admiral founded by a guy named Siragusa I think, but did Admiral hav48.e other companies make some of their stuff? My real question is did Detrola make some Admiral sets? Cuz I think they may have. Detrola made a ton of Truetones....but I know they shut down in 1948.

Appreciate your feedback. 

Paul B.

Tubetalk1

I'm afraid I can't help you on this subject as I have no knowledge of either company.

I do know that Admiral's indirect predecessor was the Slagle Radio Company of Fort Wayne, IN. Slagle later became Continental Radio Company before going bankrupt. Some investors then bought the rights to the Continental name, reorganized as Continental Radio & Television Corp., which eventually became Admiral Corp.

I own a Slagle model 12 from 1925-26, for what that's worth.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, Detrola folded in 1948, with their private label history maybe they made for Admiral. I'll keep poking around. Paul

Tubetalk1

Hello Paul,
good luck I love researching companies too !

Sincerely Richard