Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-61 Vernier Tuning help needed

I’m almost finished restoring my 37-61 but I had to disassemble my tuning assembly. It was full of hardened grease and although I read it’s a PITA, it had to be done. I don’t know how to reassemble it. It did not come apart easily, lots of penetrating oil and bits would fall out but as to how to put them back in order seems to be beyond me. 
I do know that one of the small bearings goes in first, then the spring, since they were the last to come out but that’s where I stall out. 
If someone could guide me thru this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

I will try...

1. Put white lithium grease inside the outer (brass) shaft. Don't skimp on the grease - apply liberally, to the point that it is coming out of the three holes in the sides of the outer shaft. Also, rub the same grease around the inside of the collar where everything will go when you're done. (I can't remember what this part is actually called, I'm going to call it a collar for now.)

2. Drop one of the small ball bearings into the outer (brass) shaft through the opening in the end of the shaft, making sure it does not fall out through any of the three holes in the side of this shaft. If you want to, press the inner shaft into the outer shaft temporarily to make sure this small bearing goes into place all the way inside the outer shaft, then remove the inner shaft. I usually use a small screwdriver instead to do the same thing. You must hold onto the three holes in the outer shaft while doing this, to make sure the small bearing does not come out.

3. Drop the spring into the outer shaft in the same manner, and likewise push it into place the same way as above.

4. Insert the three large ball bearings into each of the three holes in the sides of the outer shaft. Assuming you used enough grease, the grease should hold the bearings and spring in place.

5. Drop the second small ball bearing into the outer shaft through the opening in the end of the shaft and push it into place, holding the three large bearings in place to make sure they do not pop out.

6. Place the outer shaft into the collar, but not all the way - just enough to help hold the three large ball bearings in place.

7. Slide the inner shaft into the end of the outer shaft, making sure the smaller, rounded end goes in first. The larger, flattened end must stick out of the outer shaft - this is where the smaller tuning knob will be placed later.

8. Press the whole thing together and fully into the collar.

9. While holding it all together and pressing inward on the inner shaft, put the C-clip back into place on the back of the assembly.

10. Wipe away any excess grease - yes, there will be some.

11. Check the assembly and make sure both shafts turn smoothly and that the inner shaft does not pop out.

12. Bolt the assembly back onto the tuning condenser.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. You can’t be any more clear and concise then that for instructions. Much appreciated.