Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60B oscillator rewinding

Hi, I'm working on a Philco 60B.  I have determined the revision number from the information on this website. However, the oscillator coil is open and it looks like I will have to rewind it.  I was wondering if someone might know about rewinding because I am not sure I will be able to tell the direction and location of the connections due to corrosion. I am getting some good advice on another forum, but I wanted to check in with some of the experts here since it is dedicated to Philco.  I have attached a photo of the coil.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,

Like I posted before use a heatgun to warm the coil up a bit and all of that yellow powder (wax not corrosion, corrosion would be green) will melt and become clear. Then you can see what is what. If you have a good camera you can use a blowup to count the turns.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Here's a photo of a different Philco coil (antenna coil) where I rewound the small outer section similar to what is probably open on yours. It at least gives you an idea of how it looks under the wax that Radioroslyn mentioned needs to be melted off. The new clear plastic piece replacing the old celluloid just came from some packaging plastic that had about the right thickness and flexibility. Hope it helps.