Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-116 code 121 radio acquisition

Hello, I just got from my brother today a Philco 37-116 code 121 radio that is in a little rough condition but I'll be getting ready to start the restoration soon. It was partially recapped and does work and of course Band 2 doesn't work so hopefully I can rewind the oscillator coil like I did on my other 37-116 code 122 radio. The cloth will need replacing and someone installed a switch and phono jack which will be removed. The dial graphics are badly faded so I need to get a replacement dial--emailed Mark Oppat to see if he has one as the one that Radio Daze has doesn't have the correct font and doesn't look right. I have attached pictures of what it looks like.    Ken

Attached Files Image(s)

You got the rare one, without the teledial. Seems in good shape.
It's good to have brothers who have radios Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello ken,
That is a great set !

Sincerely Richard

Hi everyone, getting ready to restore the chassis--hardest part is going to be getting the rust off of it. I cleaned up the IF transformer cans as I am unable to get the cans off the IF expander unit as the nuts are rusted on them. I took apart the tuner vernier drive and cleaned/lubricated it. I got multicolor wire ordered from Radio Daze and rubber tuner grommets ordered from Renovated Radios. I do have a fully restored spare 37-116 code 122 chassis that I saved for my restored 37-116 console that I thought about using but I'm going to try to restore this chassis though-- I was tempted to use it if this chassis was unrestorable. Any suggestions on how to make the chassis look nicer? I tried to clean up the chassis but nothing works on polishing it up.   Ken

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful radio, Ken. Just looks like it needs a little TLC. By the way, Happy Birthday! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thanks for the birthday wishes Gary! I started to check the oscillator #2 coil and it has an open primary between 4 & 5 on the coil just like the last one I rewound a while back on my spare 37-116 chassis. I shouldn't have a problem rewinding it as the winding is over the secondary windings--it will take 12 turns of #36 enameled copper wire. The chassis was halfway recapped previously and there are a few paper caps to be replaced yet. Hopefully I get my cloth wire & rubber grommets by this weekend so I can get started on the main restoration of the chassis. Ken

Hi Ken 

How are the curved parts of the veneer on the cabinet? Any cracking? I picked up the same set about maybe 15yrs ago. If I run my hand down the front where side curves around to the front it rough. On inspection there is small cracks in it. Just wondering if yours's is like this also.
I have seen and heard of the veneer splitting at the bend at the top front panel. That's a job to fix! 

Not sure what to do about this one but probably will just clean it and give some heavy coats of lacquer then lightly sand. See what it looks like.

I service a 37-116 122 back in the '80s which I still have but it's in need of some new filer caps. It hums and motorboats. 

GL w/your new project!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello Ken ,
you could use some Naval Jelly to help remove the rust !

Sincerely Richard

Hi Terry, there is some cracking where the top of the cabinet curves back but not too noticeable unless you are up close. My other Philco 37-116 radio has a perfect cabinet with no veneer issues. I started to derust areas of the chassis using Rustoleum rust removing gel and masked off and cleaned the power transformer then painted it--also removed and repainted the audio driver transformer and power supply choke. Tomorrow, I'll be removing the RF unit to get ready to replace caps and repair the band #2 oscillator coil.  I got my order from Radio Daze of multicolor cloth covered wire to replace the crumbling wiring in the radio.   Ken

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello ken,
that is good news about the wire !
Myself I need to add more to my inventory .

Sincerely Richard

Hi Richard, I thought I had enough wire but didn't have enough as I need to replace the bad speaker wire harness along with all the wiring from the RF unit to the chassis. I got the AC cord replaced with a Elmenco fused plug attached to it. I'm going to start this evening removing the RF unit to de-rust the top and recap it along with fixing the band 2 osc. coil.   Ken

Hello Ken,
It sounds like you have been making some good progress on the set I am currrently working on one my set it is a model 38-10T .

Sincerely Richard