Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 3650 #34 Cap

Hello, There is a capacitor (#34 .05) on the top of the chassis that connects to the tuning cap ground braid in the front and to the cathode of the 6A7 tube. Is there any reason why this cannot go underneath the chassis?

Thanks,
Dan

Sometimes parts are at a location for a reason start moving things around can cause problems. If you are going to restore the set put everything back as they were and see how it works. Then move things around and see what happens. David

I do not think that moving that specific cap will do anything, but I would keep the connection as the shortest possible, and to the GND as close as possible to the GND point where the rest of the elements of the oscillator connect. The tuning caps' braid might just be such a point.

David's got a point: when something was connecyted or placed in a certain way, there might've been a reason for it, so it is always best to keep things as original as possible. If you want to optimize physical location, as Davi said - make the radio work well in the original configuration, and then introduce changes one by one, checking the performance after each one completed.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

On my American made 650 there is a metal, grounded shield around that cap. When a special hole is punched in the chassis to allow the appropriate connection it's usually for a good reason.

Thanks guys that makes sense to me.