Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Confusion with Philco 32A (Canadian) Electrolytic

http://pacifictv.ca/schematics/philco32manual.pdf

I was going to replace Part #25 a duo cap 10 mfd electrolytic. As pic 1 shows the red wire has previously been cut and another 10 mfd cap been installed elsewhere. My confusion is with what’s left of that duo cap. The yellowish wire on pic 1 goes to pin 4 of the 80 tube. On pic 2 the #1 wire goes to ground and the #2 wire goes to pin 4 of the 7B5E tube which I believe is just a connection point. 

Should I connect both #1 and #2 wires to the negative side of my new electrolytic. It’s confusing me since I’ve only had to connect one wire to the - side of any electrolytic I replaced before. I’m still relatively new to this hobby. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Neither of the +'s or -'s are connected together. #25 on the left connects to one of the fat pins on the 80 tube (pins 1 or 4). The + side. The - side connects to red/yellow wire from the power transformer. This wire is all so known as the hv center tap.

#25 on the right + connects to the field coil (red/black wire) and - connects to chassis ground.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, is it possible that they used Pin 4 of 7B5E as the hv center tap? I traced the red/ yellow from the transformer and that’s where it terminates.

It's possible it's not connected internally in the tube. You can check it by measuring it's resistance against the to skinny pins on the the 80 tube. Should be about equal.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Phil.  I think if you look at the info on the old cap, your #1 wire is black and is the negative for the red positive wire that has been cut.  The previous restorer just didn't cut the neg. wire.  It wouldn't matter since the pos. was cut and is no longer in circuit.  So I think you could just cut the black wire and take it out. Now the yellow positive that is left has a green negative(#2) and you can go from there.  If I'm I hope someone here like Terry will correct me.

Dick

I believe you’re correct Dick. I disconnected the black wire and connected my new cap to the yellow + and green - . Why the person before me didn’t cut the black wire out was confusing me. I always get advice from the more learned members on the Phorum. Thanks to all.