Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith model identification 1937

Hullo everyone,

A Zenith 6 valve set from 1937 has come across my workbench and I am hoping someone may be able to help me identify it.I think it is 1937 because it has a rubber date stamp on the  cardboard speaker  surround of that date. The octal valves are pretty standard for the time - 6A8, 6K7 , 6H6 ,6J5 or 6C5 (no identifying mark on valve)and 6F6 output tube. The rectifier is a little unusual , though , being a 5Y4. 
Some time ago faced with a similar problem a Phorum member was kind enough to send me a link which outlined all the radios that used a particular valve lineup.I'm hoping that they might send me that link again. 
It has a 6 inch e.m. speaker with both field and output transformer primary intact. On the back is an aluminium tag listing the serial number as R555222.Inside the chassis at the back is a green printed cardboard label bearing the code R250. If anyone can throw any light on what model Zenith this is I would be most grateful. Cheers, everyone

Gday Mate!  I tried on this site to find your serial number but it is not listed.  Anything close comes up as 1938.  Here's the site for you to try.  https://grillecloth.com/zenith/zenith.php
Good Luck and welcome to the Phorum.

Dick

Thank you Madsowry for your help. I have been able to identify the set and download the schematic from Radiomuseum. Your help is much appreciated.

And the model is…?

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Hi Joe, Thanks for your enquiry and my apologies for late reply - I have been on holiday and away from my computer. It seems that I have a Zenith Model 6 S 203, 6 S 222 ,6 S 223, 6 S 229 ,6 S 239, 6 S 241 (5638 Chassis). The schematic covers all of them . It was delivered to me sans cabinet so I don't know what the cabinet style is. I haven't gone in yet but , as our local vintage radio group is having a Zenith themed meeting this Thursday I might put aside another set I have on the bench and see what is going on in this set and perhaps take it to the meeting.If I can get it going ! Cheers.

Thanks!  Keep us informed as to status.  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Hi everyone - good news! This Zenith set now goes , and goes really well.I have replaced all the wax paper capacitors , some of which were original Zenith ones and the rest ones that had been replaced earlier.Several resistors had gone high as well.Once the bias on the 6F6 was put right the tone improved pleasingly too. At this stage it seems sensitive and not in need of any urgent realigning - so smiles all round and something to take to our Zenith themed meeting this Thursday.Thanks for your interest everyone , and an especial shout out to Madsowry for pointing me to the model and schematic , and for his genuine Kiwi greeting !