Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 89 Lower Frequencies

Rob I use a business card as it is stiffer and a little more course.

Don, you are correct! But these are the numbers the winding w/162t = 7 ohms but the winding w/96t = 24 ohms. The point I'm getting at is it's difficult guess if a coil is good or bad based on it's resistance unless it's pretty high. The 24 ohm winding is fairly small compared to the 7 ohm. Logic would cause one to think that a small winding would a lower resistance, maybe maybe not.

As for the tuning cap ground as Rod said the brass spring fork looking things that slip into the groove on the rotor of the tc. Those need to be clean and the attached wires soldered to chassis ground. I don't know if the 89 has it but on the later model sets one of the 1/4 hex screws caps is filled w/solder and copper braid is soldered to the screw cap and to the chassis. I've also seen done as a repair were a length of braid has been soldered to the rotor shaft and then to the frame the tc. Ron had recommended on these older set to remove the tc and replace the wires that some time they fracture under the insulation and can cause intermittent problems.

Just some thoughts on the issue.
GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry