Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fred's job on the RCA140

Some time in 2023 I acquired an RCA140, with the cabinet in pretty damaged shape.

So during the last Kutztown Joe Koester kindly took  the cabinegt to TX, to Fred Taylor.

Fred did really superb job on it. He also said there was more damage to the cabinet that I thought there was.
It came today.
The photos do not do it justice as the lighting is not powerful enough to get the finish to really show up, so I will show what the cam could see at that soft light.

Oh, and it was packed to withstand ISTA drop test plus some elephants trampling on top of it after having overindulged on coffee plant's fruit.

Here are some photos.

First packaging. Double-boxing, done properly, with 1' shipping styrofoam and 2.5" filling on the sides between the boxes, the cabinet wrapped in shippingf blanket.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

And the cabinet itself. Like I said, the lighting is a bit weak, plus some dust which I had not wiped.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Fred does beautiful work, and is a nice man.

Let us see the case!

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hello morzh,
yes, fred does amazing work I have a Zenith 908 cabinet that I have been wanting to send .

Sincerely Richard

I found the pictures Fred sent to me before he shipped the radio back; these a better pictures. I did not want to put them before, not to jinx the shipping Icon_smile
But now it is OK to publish them.

Attached Files Image(s)

The cabinet looks great Mike!  Fred is an artist in wood.  He has done a couple of cabinets for me and they turned out beautiful.  I drove out to Dallas and picked one up, a console cabinet, and had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

He's an artist for sure.

Does anyone have Fred Taylor's contact information?

Thanks
Paul

I first contacted him on Facebook.

Paul, check your PMs....

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Paul, check the PM. I asked Fred, so his info will be in the pM.

Thanks very much for your help fellas!

Paul

Here is more work by Fred....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...ed-public/

and another...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...ed-public/

2 of my better looking radios thanks to Fred.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Beyond impressive, morzh. Any chance you have a before picture?

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...ght=rca140

Here's one.