Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shawdowmeter on a Philco 91

The shawdowmeter on my Philco 91 chassis works but when tuned to a station the vertical bar on the front of the lens is much too wide. Does anyone know how to correct this problem. Thanks for any and all help.
Floyd

Have you given your 91 a good alignment per factory specifications?

The older shadowmeters are basically not adjustable; you can only bend the lamp bracket in back to center the shadow on the screen. Usually when the shadowmeter does not respond well to changes in signal strength, it is an alignment issue. Occasionally it is caused by a sticking vane. Some of the older shadowmeters do have a (very tiny) screw adjustment inside the shadow box to loosen/tighten the vane.

Be extremely careful if you attempt this. It would be very easy to screw the shadowmeter up while you have it open, especially if you get overzealous with the screw adjustment. Also, be aware the metal tabs on the bottom may very well break off; the thin metal is very old, very thin, and very fragile.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,
Thanks for the reply and info. Yes, I have aligned the set according to factory specs. I have also searched my Philco factory data hoping to find an answer to my problem but to no avail. In my younger years I would have attempted to disassemble the meter and checked the vane. etc. Now at 78 years of age, I'm afraid this would be too tedious a task to try. I will attempt to adjust the distance of the pilot lamp by bending the bracket. Your help, concern and endeavors are much appreciated.
Floyd