Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacement dial light idea!

Hello Everyone,
I am finishing up on my Arvin model 664A that was restored years ago by me.
One of the things that I want to do is to find what would be a good substitute for the dial lamp which is night light type bulb .
It is just too bright and produces to much heat . I worry about the Dial cover warping again .

Good news I found this LED bulb from Amazon     

I wanted to post this to let you guys know that this bulb works well and does not interfere with the AM radio band .
Figure this LED is using a capacitor dropper instead of electronics circuit .

Sincerely Richard
H
One thing I want to do is to find what would be a good substitute for the night light dial bulb. It is just too bright and produces too much heat. I worry about the dial cover warping again

Attached Files Image(s)

That's about what I would use. Half a watt instead of seven. Little worried about the "Warraney" though.

E12 7watt replacement nightlight LED bulbs are available for under ten bucks at most Big Box and Hardware stores. I'd recommend 2000k-2500k bulbs for closer yellow color. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I just checked Amazon and they are 5 or 6 for $8, depending on whether you want clear or frosted glass. If you look hard enough you could probably find colors. Nice bright green glow might be attractive.

Hello Guys,
Well thank you for your input and I did buy a LED bulb to try see how it looks and Rod I too thought about using a colored bulb instead the clear one that was in the set .

Sincerely Richard

I have a GE radio with a C7 in it. A friend suggested I use colored bulbs do Christmas.....Paul.

[Image: https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio...980331.jpg]

Tubetalk1

Hello Paul,
Yes,that is one idea !

Sincerely Richard

Have tried LEDs found them to be hit or miss loud hum in the set. Like using XMAS bulbs also the dollar store sells a  pack of clear bulbs at 4 watts so less heat.