Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-61

I recently acquired a Philco 37-31.Seems complete and not rusty. I'm fairly confident that I can get it to work but it needs the front of the cabinet decal which I haven't been able to find .

I'm debating if I should just sell it and move on to one of my many other projects . I have a feeling that it's ultimate value would be a total restore,stuffing the caps and the like which only a true collector would demand. I looked on e$bay and unrestored start at about 35-70- and restored are at 200 or so.

Guidance oh Philco Pfreaks....

Welcome to the Phorum! Icon_wave

There used to be a fellow that made those decals but I don’t think he is doing it any longer.

Hi Matt and welcome,

That decal company has been gone for several years now. You're not missing much as the product was not all that great to start with. Grain image was blurry and color was a heavy in the red range. The application of it was tricky at best being it was printed on paper. Getting it to lay flat and the edges stay stuck down seem to be an issue. Never used one myself but have friends that have, and these are some of their comments as I remember. 

If the front hasn't been chemically stripped and just has some damage/wear in some instances can be touched up by using several shades of brown and yellow. Have done it a bunch of times with very good results. I'll throw in this disclaimer that I did color matching for nearly 30yrs every day at work.

These days I think flipping radios for a profit on ebay is going to be an uphill battle. I would hazard to guess that most do radio service for own enjoyment or to make some extra money from folk who have a set that is broken. For me it's been my hobby for abt 60yr. I do sometime sell or swap to other radio hobbyist.

These are my opinions, and they are like elbows everyone has couple. 

GL w/your new project.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry