Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna coil replacement advice

I have a Fada 6A61 that's been butchered by someone attempting to "restore" it, we're talking multiple wires simply laid next to others held by a drop of solder, the rectifier socket sawzall'd out and replaced with a transformer and who knows what else.

Anyway..... The antenna coil looks like one of the coils was hit by lightning or something similar, all burnt up and the cardboard form is broken too. It's a 5 lug coil, Fada part number 35.122. I can't find any specs on it besides that. Two of the wires are broken and I don't know which coil is which on the schematic.

I also don't know if this set is the 6A60, 6A61, or a late Model 30. The schematic for the 6A61 shows a wave trap as part of the transformer, 6a60 does not. 

What are my options for replacing this transformer? Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

I need more Axial electrolytics.......

Had to deal with a similar issue about 10 years ago, when I restored an Emerson for a colleague. The antenna coil was burnt by a lightening strike.

I rewound it (the bobbin was intact).
In another case I had to recreate the whole thing, the bobbin ws eaten by a rat: i used some fishpaper to recreate the bobbine, and then rewound the coils. I simply measured the length of wire, calculated numers of turns, and then rewound. It worked.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike;
In my experience it seems to be the farm radios that end up with burned up antenna coils, at least on the primaries, though I have an AC set in the back room where the antenna coil was removed, and replaced with a ferrite bar antenna. I don't know what happened to the original but possibly a lightning strike took out the primary.
With regard to the O.P I think the upper diagram is the correct one, it shows a center tapped secondary, I guess for the old police band, which may account for what looks like a third coil, the second diagram shows a transformer assembly that if all in one would have seven lugs on it.
Regards
Arran

Arran

The Emerson was, as I remember, an AC/DC set.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.