Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-461

I just got a Philco 48-461. It will get all the electrolytic and caps replaced but my question is the one I got is white. Did they come in white or did it just get a paint job ? 

Thank you.

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...year-book/

Just found your radio in the Library. First page says it has a wooden cabinet with mahogany finish. So to answer your questions; No and Yes. Happy stripping. I would use a citrus stripper applied for several hours keeping it wet. After the stripper is removed, wipe with low odor mineral spirits. When dry, a light sanding with 220 grit. Check the photo in the Phorum Gallery for color variation and highlights, if any. When you wipe the wood with oms it will show you what it will look like if finished with clear lacquer.

Thank you so much. I did not realize the answer was right in front of my eyes. Very much appreciated.

The antenna going around the case is falling out what can I use to stick it back in ?

Can you post a photo so we can see what it looks like?

as you can see someone attached it with thumb tacks

Also on the c100 the schematic shows a .04 line filter. Is that where I would put my line safety cap ?

Thanks for the help

The reason I asked for a photo was to discover if the antenna is part of the cabinet or mounted on the chassis and how it attaches. You can use any nondestructive method, Including the tacks. I see that the antenna lead wires are soldered so the antenna is meant to be a permanent attachment to the cabinet. If you don't want the tacks you can use a few dabs of hot glue or equivalent, just in case the antenna has to be removed.

You are correct about the safety cap; should be an "X" rated. Just be sure it gets installed after the power switch as in the schematic.

Thank you for all your help. I will Find a better way to stick that antenna down. 

Very much appreciated thanks again

The easiest way is to strip paint in am inconspicuous place and see of tehre is veneer underneath.
I mean, in cases where one is not sure (this case, I think, is pretty straightforward).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes agreed. Best to start that way

Thank you

See our photo gallery https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1948a/#Model_48-461

Once you strip that white paint you will likely find a plain wood. The finish they put on made it look like mahogany but I don't think it will be a mahogany veneer.

Thank you for the advise. My strong point is the electronics

Took the paint off the top and yes looks like plain wood. Will do a mahogany stain and  poly. I am going to keep the white trim

Attached Files Image(s)

IMHO I would go with spray lacquer. Poly is so......plastic.

All suggestions are appreciated 

Thank you