Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 111

This started out as an unknown Philco I kept passing in the antique mall for a week or so. Personally I thought it might be a model 96, but it's hard to sneak a look at the insides of radios at this place. Tuesday this week I finally decided to get a good look at the radio and see what it was. Well, NO TAG! Looks like the tag has fallen off the set rather recently as the metal there is still quite shiny. Copped a feel of the tubes under the shield to try and count them... 10? 11?! Ok, this is definitely NOT a model 96! Cabinet looked great and even though it was priced at $185, the discount after paying cash brought it down to $166 after taxes. Looking through this site I am now certain I have a model 111 console from 1931. All the tubes in it are still good and it even still has four original globe type tubes in it! Now it will need a new cord and the speaker wires repaired, looks like a mouse attack.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce

That is an excellent example of a 111 highboy. Looks great! since it appears to have its original finish, with the original shading, that makes it even better. Congratulations on your find. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks! Hopefully it will sound as good as it looks when done. Had to buy another speaker for parts and the cone. This unit has one of the hard black paper cones that usually seem to tighten up into a drum skin with age. The other Philco speaker I found is the same unit, but uses a canvas speaker cone.

No matter where you go, there you are.