Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-861? Info?

Hi, just joined the Phorum. I purchased a Philco 48-861 radio in beautiful condition. I assume it was made in 1948, but know little else. Googled and Googled....it appears that this model has no web presence. Has anybody heard of this one?

Appreciate the input.

If that model number is correct we have a real mystery here!
Only saw a 48-461 in Riders. Richard

Thanks Richard. I'm sure it's correct, got it right off the sticker on the inside of the cabinet.

Thought I'd add a photo. Anybody seen this one before? My first antique radio. Philco 48-861. Looking for info, if anyone can help me out. Can't find anything on this model....thanks

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Doesn't look American. Could be Canadian but the styling looks European. Appears to have many bands. Beautiful cabinet, btw. Richard

rghines1 Wrote:Doesn't look American. Could be Canadian but the styling looks European. Appears to have many bands. Beautiful cabinet, btw. Richard

Yes, Shortwave (2.3 - 21.9) and AM. Has a loud hum (keep reading about replacing capacitors), but does pull in a couple decent signals. Can't get a lick of shortwave though.

Richard, did Philco make radios in Canada/Europe? I thought they only manufactured in the States (Phili?)

Does it say "PHILCO" on front with "TROPIC" in smaller letters below that?

I believe you have a postwar Tropic there. Very cool, and many of these are quite unlike their USA radios.

Yes, Philco made radios in Canada, in London, and contracted with another company to make them in Australia.

More later...bedtime and I'm tired...hmmm, we need a smilie for "yawn."

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Does it say "PHILCO" on front with "TROPIC" in smaller letters below that?

I believe you have a postwar Tropic there. Very cool, and many of these are quite unlike their USA radios.

Yes, Philco made radios in Canada, in London, and contracted with another company to make them in Australia.

More later...bedtime and I'm tired...hmmm, we need a smilie for "yawn."

Sorry, should have mentioned, it most definitely is a tropic. 8 tube. Thanks for the input! Icon_biggrin

Can you post the complete tube line up?
The schematic for another Philco will probably match it.
These sets, as Ron mentions here on his site, were built to withstand higher humidty levels.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

I will Carl, stay tuned...

Your 48-861 looks like a progression of the 42-760 that came out in June 1941 for the 1942 season.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1942a.htm#ae

Philco of Canada also had this model in their 1942 lineup, but they called it Model 55T and sold it in Canada. The USA-made 42-760, like all Tropic models, was intended for export to Central and South America.

After the war, Philco offered a few Tropics in their 1946 lineup; the 46-860 was one of these. I do not have a photo of it, so I do not know if it looked like the 42-760 or more like your 48-861.

Now we know of the existence of a 48-861; a model I did not know of before this thread.

This line of Philco sets was closed out, as far as I know, by Philco's introduction of Model 53-960 in their 1953 lineup. Unlike the others mentioned previously, the 53-960 was sold domestically, and therefore is easier to find than any Tropic model.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN