Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-116 Mag Tuning question

I've had one for close to 30yrs now that I got at an auction for $35. When I got it I replaced all the caps and such and it work great. About 10yrs ago it died and I'm thinking about putting her up on the bench and seeing what the matter is. I have a simple question. Does the mag tuning operate on the BC band only or will it act as an afc circuit on SW?
Tnx
Terry
Going the pickup a 37-675 tomorrow!! Tnx to Pete in NJ

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Terry,

I restored a 37-675 (non tele-dial version) a few years ago. I believe that the 675 and 116 use the same sub-chassis. I thought that the magnetic tuning was used on all bands on the 675 and the schematic for the 116 confirms that. I was very pleased with the performance of the 675. If I had not bought a 16X I would have kept the 675. That sub chassis was a major pain to work on.

Sean
WØKPX

7estatdef Wrote:I've had one for close to 30yrs now that I got at an auction for $35. When I got it I replaced all the caps and such and it work great. About 10yrs ago it died and I'm thinking about putting her up on the bench and seeing what the matter is. I have a simple question. Does the mag tuning operate on the BC band only or will it act as an afc circuit on SW?
Tnx
Terry
Going the pickup a 37-675 tomorrow!! Tnx to Pete in NJ

Works on all bands. See the Magnetic Tuning info from my site:

PHILCO SERVICE HINTS & TIPS - NUMBER 33
Aligning the Magnetic Tuning System
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip33.htm

Chuck