Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 111 oddity

I just got back the guts for my Philco 111 today and besides needing all new capacitors, resistors, speaker cone, a volume control, output transformer, and the tone control rebuilt, it had one head scratching oddity. The guy who redid it for me found a 750 ohm resistor in the tuning circuit in a spot that calls for a 1300 ohm resistor. This looked like a very old repair because the solder looked about as old as the rest of the components under the chassis. When he tested te radio, it would not work! In no way would it work with that 750 ohm resistor in there! Now here is the question: How many years has this radio sat silent because of a bad repair? It is very possible that this radio has sat nearly 70 years silent. A good head scratcher indeed. Icon_confused

No matter where you go, there you are.

Yes, it's possible. There were guys back then that did not know what they were doing underneath a radio chassis, just like there are today.

At least the problem with yours was found, and I trust it plays like new now?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Mine seems to be playing fine, though I could swear it had clearer tone sitting on the workbench than it now does in the cabinet. Could be my ears though, got a cold that is now also in my chest and it is making my ears stuffy.

No matter where you go, there you are.