Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90

Hello All;
I haven't been on here for quite a while but I wanted to ask about a chassis that I have, it's a Canadian made Philco 90 (maybe a 390). It is clean and reasonably complete, but no speaker, and of course no cabinet, knobs, or bezzel, it also has a single #47 output tube instead of a pair of #47s or #45s. Would it be worth buying a reproduction cabinet and other parts to make a set or should I just locate an empty cabinet? What bezel and speaker did the 90s with the single #47s use, Bakelite or bronze?
Best Regards
Arran

I would hold out for an empty cabinet myself and build it back up. Hows about some pictures of the chassis? Icon_biggrin

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Music in a bottle Wrote:I would hold out for an empty cabinet myself and build it back up. Hows about some pictures of the chassis? Icon_biggrin

I could take some pictures of the chassis but I think that most people know what a Philco 90 chassis looks like, plus I haven't figured out how to post pictures on here.
It's clean, no rust, and has all of the shields in place, just no speaker, the only difference between it and the U.S version visually is an engraved build plate instead of the decal.
Best Regards
Arran

Hi Arran

In my opinion...Dick Oliver is an excellent cabinet maker, so I would not hesitate to buy a repro cabinet from him, unless you can find an original cheaper (which I doubt).

Very early production "mid" chassis 90 sets (the ones using the single 47 output tube) had brass escutcheons, but this was soon changed to bakelite. At least this is true of USA made 90 sets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Hi Arran

In my opinion...Dick Oliver is an excellent cabinet maker, so I would not hesitate to buy a repro cabinet from him, unless you can find an original cheaper (which I doubt).

Very early production "mid" chassis 90 sets (the ones using the single 47 output tube) had brass escutcheons, but this was soon changed to bakelite. At least this is true of USA made 90 sets.

Thanks Ron;
I remember hearing someone talk about the differences years ago about the brass verses bakelite escutcheons but couldn't remember if they were only used for the 90s with the dual #45 tubes. I guess more what I was asking was whether it would make more sense to make a 90 out of parts or just pick up a complete set that needs a little restoration.
Best Regards
Arran