Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

newbee needs directions

have just inherited this real nice Philco model 38-c3
it seems to work ok but I need some directions on the operating of the dials so as to tune some stations do I have to run an exterior antenna outside my home
I really need some how,why,where and do nots as not to damage the unit.

thanks in advance for any help

Icon_confused

Are you sure you have model number right. Icon_rolleyes

I believe our new friend has the model number correct...38-C3 is a Canadian Philco, equivalent to USA Model 38-3.

Welcome, Cyril! You will definitely need a piece of wire, connected to the RED terminal on the three-screw panel in back of the set. A 20 foot piece of thin, insulated, copper wire, run along the baseboard of the room the radio is in, is better than nothing although these radios were designed for use with long wire antennas strung outdoors.

The various controls, as I recall, are set up as follows:

TUNING
BAND SWITCH
OFF-ON-TONE. . . . . . . .VOLUME
MAGNETIC TUNING OFF-ON

The capacitors need to be replaced before you operate the radio, to keep from damaging it. See here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/plugin.htm

Hope this helps.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Cyrill ! Thanks for stopping by!
I took a look at your set over at the Gallery and it's a nice one. Think that's the first year for the slopping front cabinet. As Ron sez you should go though the set electrically and replace bad components to be sure it's safe to operate ( for you and the radio) Other wise you could damage hard to find parts. Here is the technical info for it: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/243/M0013243.htm
Click on the eyeball and you will be able to look and print out the material.
There is a great bunch of guys here that are very knowledgeable about all things Philco so if you have any questions please ask we are more than happy to give you our help.

Terry
ps sent us a pic or two if you can!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks to all who replied to my post
I can see that I am in for some new experiences in the world of antique radios and am going to need all the help you can give.
The bad news is that my wife on going to pick the radio up plugged it in and turned it on, so whats done is done.I gingerly cleaned the inner works with some soft air to remove dust and cobwebs checked the tubes they all lite up managed to get a couple of stations but now nothing? Just that horrid about to land on mars sound.

So now for page 2. Low and behold my wife says to me look what else I found in the basement as near as i can figure its a Philco 37-630x and imprinted on the works inside, are these numbers H47496, that's all the identification numbers I can find. Again I gingerly cleaned the works first and opps.. not knowing about the warnings, plugged it in with much greater success problem being volume control.

I got the wife to take a couple of pix, hope they show good enough! If you want side views, let me know or any other shots.
Thanks Cyril Icon_confused

P.S. If these things had carburetors and pistons I'd be on the race track now.. so if I can pay back your help that way, let me know Icon_lol

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.