Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA Victor & Allied Radio have the same Superhet

So I've been reading these old books about tube radios, trying to catch up with all you old timers. So get this, I was looking at the schematics for the RCA Victor 5 tube 56x5 and noticed that it looks remarkably similar to Allied Radio's Knight "Ranger" 5 AC-DC Superhet. In fact, the tubes are the same, the resistors are the same, the capacitors are the same, the connections are the same... They're the same radio! Allied radio copyrighted their schematic in 1950 (the manual I found it in was Copyrighted 1950). RCA produced their radio in 1946. Could this be corporate thievery? Did Allied Radio steal from the RCA Mfg. Company so many years ago?

Or is the real answer because that's the only way to make a 5 tube superhet?

Anyway, I thought it was cool. Just thought I'd point it out.

I guess I should pose the question, is it possible that Allied Radio just bought the rights to the radio and produced a kit and called it the Knight Ranger?

-Brandon

While there are more "All American Five" radios out in the world than cockroaches in Florida, there aren't many ways to connect that tube complement. It would be no surprise to see an identical chassis, made by more than one company, unknown that the same schematic was used by someone else.

OHHH! *THIS* is the "All American Five" I've read so much about! Now it makes much more sense.

Thanks, Doug, for clarifying all that for me. Icon_smile