Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnavox Regency Symphony, 1947?

The 1947 comb. I have is in a really plain Jane cabinet.
Has two half doors on front. One covers 3 band radio, and, other 12" tv.
I don't remember seeing that other switch on my fathers' but, it's possible. This one seems to also lack it, but, does have the solonoid on the 2 speed Webster changer.
Due to major cartridge replacing problems I'm considering changing the changer to a single 78 Webster Maggie changer. Would that be wrong to do? What are the chances of finding the model my father had at an affordable price?
Maybe a trade?
Information please on something else...
I have another 1946 model in a single book case style cabinet. A single half door in front covers 3 band radio with eye tube, and, single chassis with a pair of 6L6 output tubes. Don't remember chassis number. Other "door" pulls out to reveal the Maggie Webster 78 changer.
I'r re building this set. It had been dammaged by rats, but, is not ruinnned. They did destroy the changer, but, I have correct replacement for it.
That one has 2 12" speakers.
Cabinet has two shelves. One with a leather pad insert, other top of case. Metal grills in front of speakers.
It's rough, but, once, I had radio playing, and, audio was excellent.
I have to put new electrolytics in it. I had replaced paper caps 25 years ago.
Bill Cahill

"If it lights in the dark and leaves you with a warm glow it's tubes."

"Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"
"I left it somewhere, but, where?"

Someone keeps reposting a Windsor on eBay. It isn't exactly affordable, though - this time around, the bidding starts at only $775. It was starting at $900, I think, the first time it was listed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/280626056053

Bill, what about installing a Power Point cartridge in that Webster 256? Doug gave me an Astatic Soundflo cartridge with the Webster 256 he sent me, which mounts like a Power Point. I don't know when I'll get to do the job, however, as this current college semester is very tough.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yeh, seems pricey to me. That's not my father's cabinet, but, the rest looks about like it.
Can anyone help me with that cartridge for my changer, plus mounting hardware I need?
Thanks much.
Bill Cahill

If you're wanting to convert to a Power Point cartridge, I posted a couple links on page 3 of this thread.

If you want to use the original cartridge, I can't help you; maybe someone else can.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi all
I put a 89t in my 1946 magnavox with W-C 256 changer, (it is a Magnavox Duette it has the CR-187 chassis with p-p 6L6 with two 12 inch speakers) it is easy to do and it works fine I experimented with some changes in the phono input and made it sound a lot better the 89t likes a high resistrance load. The orignal had a .0001 cap between the pickup and the grid of the amp. I put a 1 meg across this .0001 and put a 22K in series with a .0015 from the pickup side of the 1 meg resister and ground. It added some bass and to me made a better middle range. I did not remove any of the orignal so I can go back if I want, but really sounds good. I agree the radio on Ebay is a bit to much for my pocketbook.
Just a thought.

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

The idea of installing a 78-only changer in place of a 256 or 356 can't be called wrong. It's only a solution to having a changer that will play your records. Any of the Webster 56 family of changers is good. While VM changers are commonly used, and are in abundant supply, I just don't like them.

Back around 1950, I wanted a good changer. The big names in the stores were VM, Webster-Chicago, Garrard RC-80, then, all stops out; the Thorens. You only saw Thorens on Scott and RCA Berkshire. I liked the Webster because the change action is smooth and fast. I never liked the V-M because the trigger spindle chews the spindle hole in the records. My 56 changer was replaced with a W-C 356, then I graduated to a Garrard RC-90. After that, I lost track.

From what I know, there are pickup cartridges floating around that would work in a multi-stylus pickup head. I'm thinking of a Sonatone cartridge, for example. In the case of the changer I sent Ron, the head of the pickup arm is small, and something like a Power Point or a Sonatone will fit the head easily. Also, I believe that the Sonatones are ceramic, rather than Rochelle salt crystals. They seem to go on forever, and they sound good. I have one of those Newcomb stereo players, and cartridge in it is a E-V Power Point Stereo. It sounds like a million bucks.

Another advantage of having a stereo pickup, with a 3 mil stylus, is that it will play Edison Diamond disc records. In addition, if you have any 16 inch broadcast transcriptions that are vertical cut, it'll play those, too.

One other item here. The original pickup cartridge that was on the Magnavox 256 changer on the Maggie sets; even the Windsor, wasn't much on frequency response, and the ceramics have it all over them.

You'll find that a lot of the phonographs made after around the mid- fifties had ceramics.

Thanks for your help on that tone network.
How do I remove old cartridge, and, mount my 89t?
I have the flip around mount for it, also....
Bill Cahill

HI all
Bill
the tone arm on my 256 has the standard 1/2 inch mounting, the turnunder holder for the 89t fit in there very nice. The cartridge that was oringal to the 256 has sort of a two piece hindge affair, it is mounted in between the 1/2 mounting screws, just remove the two mounting screws and it will come out, remove the "wire" that is connected between the weight lever and the cartridge and mount the 89t on the standard 1/2 mount. There are (I think) at least three different tone arms with these changers that I have seen, ( I have two differnt types myself) so what I described is what I have, it is the smallest head of all three, but the 89t fits very good in mine.
Doug
When I got my Magnavox it had a VM changer in it, I found a 256 changer on Ebay and bid 99 cents on it and got it, it is in good shape and Gary (VM guy) had the motor mounts. You are correct in that the changers are smooth, I like the way they operate. I have four Garrard changers, and some VM changers and a couple of the old Philco changers, I dont know who made them they were only used in the 42-1006 altho GE and some others used them.
The 89t sounds good with my setup here altho I like the sound of the Ronette TO-284-US better but I cannot find any of those any more, The TO-284 is made in two voltage outputs, one is about 1/2 volt out and the other is 3 volt output the 1/2 volt is the better of the two, three volts drives the amp to much and is distorted. The amp sounds the best around 1 volt.
My Magnavox is the Duette it has the CR-193 chassis, yes I perfer the ceramic pickups. But they are getting hard to find to fit the old tone arms.
May am I windy or what. I shut up for a while
Joe

Joe

Thanks for the clear explanation on how to mount the 89T. I, for one, appreciate it very much, since I need to do the same thing to my 256.

One question though: Do you need to remove the tone arm to do this operation, or can it be done with the tone arm left in place?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron
The cart can be changed without removing the tone arm. You should take care when you lift the arm past 45 deg it will hit the post that pushes the record off the spindle, You can turn the post with the 10 facing the tone arm and it will clear. The tone arm is easy to remove just two screws, looking out for the rubber bushings. There is sorta of a snap catch that unsnaps at about 30 deg you will feel it so expect it. You will have to leave the weight in the 78 position or at least I do. The 89t is not very heavy.
Joe

OOps I made a mistake you have to turn the 12 toward the tone arm to get it to clear
Sorry
Joe

Joe,

I could not remove the tone arm, but I turned the unit upside down and was then able to reach the screws holding the old cartridge in place. Removed it, and installed the new Astatic turnunder holder.

Next up: connect the wires, then turn the unit over and replace the idlers, then try the unit out in the Regency. Maybe this weekend I might find a little more time to finish this up.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

O K Ron
Yours must be different to mine. On mine there is a snap in at about 30-40 degrees about 2 1/2 inches from the rear of the tone arm if you pull up gently but steady the catch will give way and the tone arm will lay back past the vertical. But if you got in that is all that counts.
Joe

Ron: You don't absolutely need to remove the pickup arm from its mount. I'm sure that it was rarely ever done, anyway. And, since the changer is already out of the cabinet, you can just turn it upside down and go to work.

I have another W-C 256 changer in rough shape, and a Sonotone already in it. It doesn't look like much of a job to make the conversion. Now, since the cartridge is probably lighter than the original one, you can probably just forget about fooling with the counterweight.

NOW JOE: Can you describe that Ronette that you're talking about? Is it a dual stylus job, or what? It appears to me that Ronette came in several forms, and so I have no good idea what you're looking for.

Hi Doug
I have tried to send you a picture of the cartridge 4 times and it comes back undeliverable. I have been using cdh041@earthkink.net but it comes back. Am I using the correct address? Yes the cart seems to have been available with either a low output or a high output. The orginal cart that Magnavox used was about 1/2 volt as best as I can find, a 1 volt works good. A three volt overdrives the preamp and sounds distorted to me. The one I have (which is on another Magnavox) is marked TO-284-US. If you let me know if I am using the correct email address I will try again.
Thanks
Joe