Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnavox Regency Symphony, 1947?

The address is cdh041@earthlink.net, not earthkink. Keep trying.

This has turned into a marathon thread, hasn't it, folks? 5 pages and running... Icon_smile

I am happy to report that the Webster Chicago 256 changer is now in the Regency and running like a top. I listened to one side of a Vaughn Monroe LP this morning to give it a workout, and it played fine, sounded good. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Good music!! Makes me think about getting one of my phonographs working. I have no idea if the Philco 46-1209 or the Crosley phonos even work!!!

Yeah, Ron. It's funny how an innocent thread turns into a hemp rope. This started with you (lucky bum) finding that Magnavox, evolving int pickup banter, then, to my absolute shock, me and my TRK-12.

Well, I'm tickled out of my hide to hear that the 256 is going good in your Maggie. The pickup cartridge you have is quite a bit better than the original crystal that was in it.That set has the capability that exceeds the original pickup.

If you can latch onto a Columbia LP, titled: Ballet Music From Aida, try it on the Magnavox. Both sides of that disc are phenomenal for working out an audio system. I have a little story about that disc. I'll tell it some time.

Now, to get Joe Bratcher straightened out.

Hi Doug
Many many thanks for the cartridge, if I can help you just let me know. I wll try to help you too. What do I owe you??
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

No sweat. We're square.

Back to that thing about "Ballet Music From Aida".

In 1954, I was in the Army, working in one of the Signal Corps Engineering Labs, at Ft. Monmouth, NJ. There were several out buildings in the complex, with various projects in progress in them. One morning, we were in our lab, in the main building, and heard some music, wafting with the air movement outside. Naturally, we walked out to see what's goin' on. There, atop one of the small buildings (this was out in the country), was a bank of high power speakers, being driven by a 250 watt amplifier, in one of the small out buildings. The guy was feeding it with a Magnecord PT6 recorder, where he had put this Ballet Music recording on a tape. The amp was a "Beachmaster" amplifier, which is part of psywar, for use at beach landings.

He told me what the record was, and that evening, after dinner, I made a bee line for Asbury Park, to my pet record store, and bought the record. It's a Columbia LP (Monaural, of course), and the flip side is: "Ballet Music from Faust"

Back in the days of Ron's Maggie, one of the upper level music stores that sold Magnavox, in my neighborhood, was also a major record dealer in Michigan (Grinnell Brothers). I was in their local store, buying a record, I suppose, and was drooling a river over a set like Ron's. Understand, I was around 18 or 19 years old, and I chatted with a salesman. He said: "here, this is what this thing can do", and put on a 78 disc from the Columbia Gaite Parisienne album. I thought he was going to take out the plate glass windows in the store with that Maggie. those impressions never get dim.

Anyone wonder why I like high ticket radios?

Thanks for the extra info about that album, Doug.

When you mentioned "Ballet Music from Aida," I was somewhat confused because I know Aida is an opera - I have a copy of a performance of Aida on DVD, with Placido Domingo. So, I take it, the music from Aida was arranged for a ballet?

I think a recording of Mario Lanza singing Pagliacci - Vesti la Giubba would sound great on a Magnavox. Perhaps I should look for such a recording, along with the "Ballet Music from Aida." I attended a performance of Pagliacci in Louisville last summer. The tenor was OK, but was no Lanza. Of course, after hearing Lanza, other tenors tend to pale by comparison. Just my opinion.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

While I agree that Mario Lanza had a superb voice, and, I have some of his recordings, inclucing some 78's, I still think he pales somewhat next to all time great Emrico Caruso.
I don't generally like opera, but, love listenning to instrumental music from operas, and, general music sung by the artists occasionally.

I have several operetic themes including on cylinder, including the ever popular "Aiada March", and, "Overture to Semiranede".
Bill Cahill

"If it lights in the dark and leaves you with a warm glow it's tubes."

"Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"
"I left it somewhere, but, where?"

Well, yes, of course Enrico Caruso was perhaps the greatest tenor who ever lived. It's too bad that the primitive acoustic recordings of his time could not capture the full range his voice must have had.

I should have specified high fidelity recordings in my comments above.

I'm not a big opera fan, but it was seeing Lanza in the film The Great Caruso several years ago that made me somewhat interested in opera music. The opera I attended in Louisville last summer was the first opera I had ever been to.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

O H Boy you guys are talking classical music Icon_biggrin I like most all kind of music except this "rap". But I never was interested in opera. I like the "big band music" I like the "western swing" and some of the country, and a lot of the "popular music". I have a lot of 45's and several 78's and some lp's.
Buy the way I think I am wrong on my Magnavox, I got some sample cards showing difference stains, it looks like it is a oak finish instead of blonde. The nearest match is golden oak and it is very close.
Thanks again Doug for the pickup.
See Yea
Joe

Guys, I have some pertinent questions. Not sure of chassis number, but, I have a Maggy '46 model radio-phono.
It's in a nicely styled book case style case with two shelves.
Phono is in a drawer. 2 12" speakers are driven by pp 6L6 output tubes. Power trans. on same chassis. Has an eye tube, and, it's, I believe a 3 band radio. Two SW, one am.
Cabinet needs refinnishing, except for the lower shelf. It has a leatherette cover on cardboard covering the shelf, which has a mint finnish.
This set was dammaged by rats many years ago, but, radio sustained little dammage. Most dammage was to changer, which I have a correct replacement for.
I had re capped it long ago, but, still has original electrolytics.
It has a good eye tube in it.
At the time, the radio was playing well, as was rp.
I believe output tubes are now toast.
Is this set worth fixing?
I loved the sound at the time, but, it ia likwly it will now be expensive to finnish.
What do you guys say, and, if I should, can someone find me a good pair of 6L6G tubes?
I feel badly about the thing, and, would kind of like to see it going again, if it won't cost me an arm, and, a leg.
What do you think of the quality of these sets?
Bill Cahill

Hi Bill
Sounds like you have a CR-194 chassis, that is what I have,in a different cabinet. They are good sounding radios. Does your have a short wave band, broadcast, Phono and FM on the selector. If it does my guess is that it is a CR-194 if it does not then it is most likely not. The one I have is a "Duette". I think it is worth fixing up the 6L6 tubes are sorta costly. I may have some here but they will be used. Hope this helps, look in Nostalgia under magnavox for CR-194 to see if it is yours ,
See Yea
Joe

Icon_sad No, it's only a two band. Just looked at dial. Am, and, one sw band.

It has PP 6L6 output. Everything on one chassis.
The phono is on left, in a pull out drawer.
Did some cleanning on it last night, and, today. It's not as bad as I had thought.
The rats HAD destroyed the changer, but, I have 3 more WC 78 changers in stock made for Magnavox.
I'll try to post pics on it tonight, or, this week-end.
It does have an eye tube.
Actually, parts of the cabinet are still mint.
I think I can just clean, and, spray dust some lacquer on sides, and, top shelf.
The worst is the front. I think I can lightly sand what's left of finnish off, treat, stain, and, fill if needed, and, put some lacquer on.
This cabinet is red mahoganny.
Bill Cahill

Just looked at NA. It appears to be a CR-194 but, no fm.
Just am, and, one sw band.
Wish I had an FM tuner for it.
Where could I find original manuals for it?
I think I'm going to save it, but, I need good 6L6G tubes. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Bill Cahill