Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need a picture of a 37-640

Snowmann and tery, this is how I do it. After cleaning the frame, cut some shims from some old film negatives. Make them about 3/16" wide and about 2" long. Place 3 or 4 shims in the voice coil slot, evenly spaced all the way around. Now slip the voice coil in the slot and install the screw in the spider. The shims will keep the coil centered in the slot. Test fit the cone. When satisfied with the fit, glue the cone to the frame. Use contact cement for this. Last glue the cone to the voice coil/spider. I use Elmers glue for this, but be careful and don't let any glue get in the voice coil slot. After the glue dries, remove the shims. Now push the cone in and out to make sure the voice coil does not rub. If it rubs slightly, You may be able to loosen the screw in the spider and shift the coil a little. One more thing. The foam surround on these cones, are a little thicker than the flange on the speaker frame, so when you mount the speaker, you will need to use a spacer on each mounting bolt so the foam dosen't touch the mounting board. If the foam touches the board, it will cause distortion. That's it! Good luck with your project!
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks for the info!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry