Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

53-T1884

Hi
I am new to this board, and I'm so glad I found it. I have a 1953 Philco 53-1884 (My gardparents first TV).
I have recapped a couple of radios, but I'm tackling my first TV. Its a philco 53-t1884 combo with am radio and turntable. chassis are 84, h-4 and radio is rt-9 turntable m-24. I'm replacing 3 can capacitors two are 120uf 150v and one 80uf 300v, I can't seem to find excact match and I''m wondering what two use. supposedly a diposable camera has a 80uf 300v in it. Can I use that? I'm lost on the other two. Any help greatly appreciated. I've already emailed Big Dave on this and he replied with great help. These are all power supply cans. I'm assuming I can go upto 160v on the two 150v ones, can I go upto 350v on the one that was originally 300v? I plan on a full recap. This set works but has no verticle sweep. I guess my question is, being my first tv any in general help and hints would be appreciated? I keep hearing it is more critical to have the right cap values in tv's then in radio's.
Thank you for any help
Bob

Disposable camera capacitors are made to be used a few dozen times and then thrown out. They will not stand up in a television for very long. Get some modern 450 volt caps and either restuff the cans, or disconnect the cans and mount the components underneath the chassis.

codefox1 Wrote:Disposable camera capacitors are made to be used a few dozen times and then thrown out. They will not stand up in a television for very long. Get some modern 450 volt caps and either restuff the cans, or disconnect the cans and mount the components underneath the chassis.

That actually isn't true, I have restored many a radio with photo flash capacitors, they were typically between 80 and 160 microfarad at 300-330 volts DC, they weren't designed specifically for disposable camera flashes they are off the shelf units. The caps were often made by reputable companies like Rubicon and Nichicon , and are labeled as such, some are 105 degree units, if anything they are tougher then the run of the mill electrolytics since they need to charge and discharge quickly in what amounts to a DC to DC convertor. Typically I connect them in series to get a higher voltage rating, which halves the capacitance, all of the radios that I installed them in have been operating for years without problems. If they are installed in a regular 300 volt DC B+ power supply it doesn't matter whether the cap is installed in a TV or a radio, it's not going to know the difference.
Best Regards
Arran

Oh no! There's another one of us that use's caps that are way to big! I've been using some caps salvaged from old computer p/s boards. Most are in the 200 to 300ufd range at 200v.I use some large shrink tubing over two of them and it's about the some size as the old 50/30ufd150V. Seem to work fine. Used some in an Emerson 707about 6yrs and it's still going strong.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

7estatdef Wrote:Oh no! There's another one of us that use's caps that are way to big! I've been using some caps salvaged from old computer p/s boards. Most are in the 200 to 300ufd range at 200v.I use some large shrink tubing over two of them and it's about the some size as the old 50/30ufd150V. Seem to work fine. Used some in an Emerson 707about 6yrs and it's still going strong.
Terry

To be honest I think the issue of using capacitors of a large capacity is exaggerated, or at least there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to capacity increasing power supply output voltages. I think it's true if you replace a 2 microfarad capacitor with a 4 or an 8 but once you get above a certain point, lets say 10 mf, 15 mf, 20 mf, it doesn't make much difference, above 40 mf it makes no difference at all in output voltage. Some claim that bigger capacitors kill rectifier tubes quicker, maybe they do and maybe they don't, but anecdotally speaking I haven't had any problems that I can recall.
Best Regards
Arran

You are right in that a larger cap will raise the voltage a bit but that isn't why I do it. It will give you more reserve current so when the audio stage draws more current on an audio peak the volt from the power supply won't drop.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry